Could Catalytic converter be causing problems at 225k? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Could Catalytic converter be causing problems at 225k?

realestdriver
05-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Yea guys, I know that is a stupid question because most of you would be saying definitely yes. The thing I want some input on is my perfomance sag and test. Also how bad off you think it is?

1) The car has no additional pull under wot from 3-5k approx.
2) I made two runs in the car, got out immediately and put the infared laser on the cat and it read 680F. Is that too hot?......it was a full throttle run.

This is the car with the full 3.5L swap on it, the only thing that I haven't messed with is the exhaust; which lead me immediately to blaming my cat. What you think?

SSRacer
05-28-2009, 07:50 AM
My cat went bad at about 60K

When it did, the car bogged down completely and the more I tried to get on it, the worse it was.

FuriousG
05-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Similar story here at 69K. Of course, mine ended up causing more damage tot he exhaust manifolds in the process due to all the back pressure.

FromTheInside
05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Mine is fine at 125,900, but my friend's went at 109,000. It all depends on how the car was driven for its life. If it was taken mainly on long trips then it could last longer. If your engine wasn't tuned properly, i.e. bad plugs O2 sensors whatever.... it could have caused misfires or richening of the air/fuel mixture sending the extra gas into the converter to combust and continuously destroy it over time and cause it to fail much earlier. So, judging by your miles, I would say this car has had its fair share of highway time.

sugar ray
05-31-2009, 10:40 PM
ya same situation here.
Last summer my CAT croaked at only 58,000 KM's (not miles)

Dealership wanted $700 for an original direct replacement. FORGET THAT! :asshat
Local muffler guy installed a re manufactured cat for $180. I have heard of several Grand-am owners that had failed cats at low miles.

When mine got plugged I could go NO faster then 65km's/per hour. Even with my foot to the floor. 65 was my top speed and gas millage was horrible

SSRacer
06-01-2009, 07:20 AM
ya same situation here.

Local muffler guy installed a re manufactured cat for $180. I have heard of several Grand-am owners that had failed cats at low miles.

When mine got plugged I could go NO faster then 65km's/per hour. Even with my foot to the floor. 65 was my top speed and gas millage was horrible

The dealer replaced mine under warranty. The car's warranty was way over by then, but there is some federal law where they have to warranty emissions stuff longer or something.

Mike Jung
06-01-2009, 08:15 AM
ya same situation here.

When mine got plugged I could go NO faster then 65km's/per hour. Even with my foot to the floor. 65 was my top speed and gas millage was horriblesugar ray,

You got focked over at that dealer !

For my '99 GASE:
says it has a GM Canada, Emission System Warranty for 8-years or 130K km / 80.7K miles on the Catalytic Converter & PCM.

Check the separate warranty booklet that came with owner's manual.

sugar ray
06-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Mike Jung:

read my FULL post. Your "RIGHT" I "would" have got FOCKED over at the dealer. That's why I didn't go there!

cheers buddy :hay:

SSRacer
06-02-2009, 06:57 AM
Mike Jung:

read my FULL post. Your "RIGHT" I "would" have got FOCKED over at the dealer. That's why I didn't go there!

cheers buddy :hay:

I think what he is saying is that they should have done it for free and not even tried to charge you anything. You paid to have it done elsewhere, so you still got screwed cause it shouldn't have cost you a dime.

[ChaosweaveR]
06-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Mine went bad at 82k, so no free service for me. Gheyz.

sugar ray
06-02-2009, 03:22 PM
SSRacer:

I did bitch at the dealership about FREE replacement. despite only having 58,000 kms on the car last summer (2008) they explained that warranty for that was less then 60,000 k (which the car was) or 5 years whatever came first! I was kind of chapped by that. Forget the 5 years years they should stick with the 60k ORIGINAL miles warranty regardless of vehicle age