02 Grand AM Ignition cylinder! SOS!! PRICES you gotta be kidding me!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 02 Grand AM Ignition cylinder! SOS!! PRICES you gotta be kidding me!!

sugar ray
05-30-2009, 05:31 PM
We have an 02 Grand AM. very low miles and NEVER winter driven. So the wife gets back from shopping the other day. Later that day I hop in the car to take off and the ignition cylinder is seized. will NOT move. Can NOT even roll up the power windows because the cylinder with key will NOT turn an inch. Ignition cylinder pins have obviously croaked as the steering wheel is NOT locked up. Can NOT shift it into any gear other then Park because the cable won't give unless the key can turn.

NOT to confuse this problem with the INFAMOUS security intermittent start stop problem that occurs in some 02-05 Grand Am's. This problem is simply a seized ignition cylinder.

Anyways.....I get the OLD one out no problem then I start shopping locally. GM dealer up here in O'Canada wanted $385 for the ignition lock cylinder. YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME?? NAPA wanted a little less at $325 reman. Another independent had an AC delco for $255. IS THIS THING MADE OF GOLD OR WHAT??? we wonder why GM is sinking. who the hell can afford that for such a basic part?

Anyways......I contact a wrecker that has an 02. I can strip the part for $50, it even has a key! hmmmmmmm.....what would you do??? $255 or $50??

My question if anyone is familiar with the ignition cylinders. Location of the ignition key is in dash and beside stereo NOT on steering column. When stripping the DONOR lock cylinder should i just take the cylinder with the entire plastic housing and cable that runs from the back of the housing down to the shifter column? Reason i ask is because when i opened the plastic housing from my bad cylinder little pieces went flying everywhere! I would like to avoid this with the donor piece if possible. Perhaps those tiny springs and pieces flew everywhere because the cylinder was bad to begin with??

Being that im using a donor piece just wanted to go about this the easiest way?

I also assume that by using a new cylinder with key that I will have to go through the 10 minute security LEARN process? I have a fair bit of knowledge regarding this generation of Grand Am's, but key cylinder assembly is a new one to me

any help would be awesome!

AaronGTR
05-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I'd certainly try to get it out without all the tumblers and springs falling out. According to my manual you need some special tools to re-assemble it and it looks like a real pain to do.

just fyi, if you replace the ignition cylinder with one from another car, you'll have to keep you original key as well because all the other lock cylinders on the car are keyed to it (doors, trunk, glove box). You would have to get a new lock cylinder and have it assembled with tumblers coded to your key otherwise. There is a barcode on your car somewhere they can get the code off of. Give me a minute and I'll scan the manual pages for you.

AaronGTR
05-30-2009, 06:26 PM
First two pics are the removal and replacement procedure. Third is about the lock cylinder and key, and 4-6 are the cylinder assembly procedure.

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/car%20parts/scan0003.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/car%20parts/scan0004.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/car%20parts/scan0005.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/car%20parts/scan0006.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/car%20parts/scan0007.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p23/AaronGTR/car%20parts/scan0008.jpg

sugar ray
05-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Excellent information my friend!

Looks a lot simpler if i strip the donor part with Cylinder still in housing.
I appreciate you taking the time to scan your pages. HUGE help :applause:

2000 GT Coupe
05-31-2009, 02:37 AM
Can a locksmith rekey the new cylinder to your key?

OneFstGt
05-31-2009, 06:46 AM
Can a locksmith rekey the new cylinder to your key?

Yes a locksmith can rekey, I had to do mine.

sugar ray
05-31-2009, 01:27 PM
I shouldn't require a lock smith. As on Monday i will be pulling the entire housing from a wrecker. I refuse to pay $255 minimum just for a cylinder. Ridiculous! The entire housing with cylinder has its original key with it. So I should be able to swap and be done with. Im pretty sure that I will have to go through the security LEARN process as my car will have a NEW key

I'll post my results

2000 GT Coupe
05-31-2009, 06:14 PM
I shouldn't require a lock smith. As on Monday i will be pulling the entire housing from a wrecker. I refuse to pay $255 minimum just for a cylinder. Ridiculous! The entire housing with cylinder has its original key with it. So I should be able to swap and be done with. Im pretty sure that I will have to go through the security LEARN process as my car will have a NEW key

I'll post my results

My point about the locksmith is he could rekey the tumblers so your door and trunk key will work with the new ignition as well.
Other wise you will have 2 keys or you will be locked out.

sugar ray
05-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Gotcha! Now i understand what you were getting at.
Actually, I do NOT think i have EVER used my doors via key. The car came with the key chain auto unlock, trunk opener remote.

2000 GT Coupe
06-01-2009, 12:11 AM
true the remote door locks are great, however what if your remote battery dies, or worse your car battery dies.

Malaclypse
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM
Something to consider. Its going to be impossible to remove the ignition cylinder without destroying the ignition switch.

You pretty much have to drill the cylinder housing to acess the release pin for the cylinder. This renders the cylinder housing pretty useless.

sugar ray
06-01-2009, 10:36 PM
SUCCESS!!! :applause: :applause: :applause:

I was kind of surprised that I did "NOT" have to go through the re-learn process for the security system. Fired up first crank! I figured for sure with a replacement ignition it would require the 10 minute re-learn process.

Ya I pretty much destroyed my OLD non-working housing upon opening it. Pieces flew everywhere once I released the housing clips.

So when I went to retrieve the one from the wrecker I just took the entire thing. Housing (with cylinder in tact) and even the cable that attaches to the rear of the housing and runs down to the shifter lever. The cable was the only thing that took a bit of time. Re-routing under the carpet to the shifter. Other then that it went as smoothly as I could have hoped for. I just do "NOT" understand why they don't sell these things as a complete unit with cylinder ALREADY built into the housing??

Malaclypse: as you already mentioned by opening the housing you need to cause destruction. What a pain it would have been to use JUST a new cylinder. A complete replacement as an assembly is the way to go for sure! Not to mention the outrageous prices JUST for a cylinder.

I shall consider myself lucky in this situation. #1- the cylinder seized right in front of my house so NO need for a tow. #2- I was able to find a local wrecker that had the part WITH a key still dangling from the ignition. phew......

thanks everyone who contributed to this thread

PhantomLover007
06-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Congrats man.