Silicon under the spoiler [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Silicon under the spoiler

dcuballa
06-01-2009, 05:41 PM
My car was recently rear-ended and when the shop put the spoiler back on the decklid they used a good bit of black silicon instead of the double sided tape already there...needless to say when they put the spoiler on and started to tighten down it came out. What is the best way of getting rid of all the silicon without hurting the paint (razor blade).

skifreak122
06-01-2009, 06:03 PM
possible to take it back to the shop and let it be their problem? that way if anything gets messed up it's on them to fix it.

dcuballa
06-01-2009, 07:03 PM
I went to see the body shop manager there and he said that it wasnt a flaw in the paint or body work so he couldnt do anything about it...he suggested rubbing harder in those areas when I washed it to get rid of the silicon showing...he was a real sweetheart

ltpats
06-01-2009, 07:32 PM
My car was recently rear-ended and when the shop put the spoiler back on the decklid they used a good bit of black silicon instead of the double sided tape already there...needless to say when they put the spoiler on and started to tighten down it came out. What is the best way of getting rid of all the silicon without hurting the paint (razor blade).

IIRC there is supposed to be a gasket under there, I've taken off quite a few of them and none had silicone. If that is the case then he should have used the correct gaskets not RTV, he should have to fix it right.

PhantomLover007
06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
They did a cheap job and didn't use the right materials for it. If he doesn't fix it, go to the BBB and file a complaint.

skifreak122
06-01-2009, 09:31 PM
You may also be able to contact the insurance company of the person who hit you and let them know you'll be having it fixed properly either by that shop or a different one at their expense.