00 GAGT water pump time?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 00 GAGT water pump time??

AuroraGuy
06-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Well it seems like the squeak/squeal I am getting from under the hood 'appears' to be the water pump or the AC clutch...

Is there any way for sure to determine if a noise is coming from the water pump or the power steering pump right next to it ?

..then, how hard is it to R&R the water pump?
Its not leaking but sounds like crap..

I have had the serpentine belt off before to replace it with a GATOR...but spraying wd-40 anywhere near moving parts doesnt make this noise go away...

Thanks-

rocketfast123
06-06-2009, 11:46 AM
You will need a flat bar, IE the belt tool. You use it to stop the water pump from spinning, so you can remove the pulley bolts. Then it's 4 more bolts i believe that hold it on to the motor. 30mins avg.

Also is your PS fluid toped off?

AuroraGuy
06-07-2009, 10:56 AM
It wasnt the water pump. I almost wish it was....

Its the dam AC clutch. There are some small metal dust around the sides of it..when the AC is turned on, the noise disappears.

Not sure what to do now...Dealer?

I just had this AC fixed last month. It kept loosing freon. Turns out it was one of the aluminum pipes ($384 to replace).

AaronGTR
06-07-2009, 11:58 AM
yeah, usually if the water pump isn't leaking then that's not it. If the bearing is bad enough to squeal the seal is usually bad too. With the noise going away with the ac on as well (clutch engaged), I'd be inclined to say that is the culprit.

AuroraGuy
06-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Well...I am going to swing by the dealer Monday.

I am hopeful since GM sells just the clutch and related parts that they can just do that vs replacing the dam compressor for $$$ ....