starts but stalls immediately [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : starts but stalls immediately

Plug
06-07-2009, 01:10 PM
What sort of issues can cause a 1999 GAGT to start but stall immediately??
Any sensor or specific part that may play a key role in this problem??

I am at a loss for ideas here. Possibly the TPS?? :dunno

chuckclose1
06-07-2009, 06:42 PM
hard to diagnose without knowing what all you have tried.

first thing that comes to mind knowing some of the other problems that iv seen in GM's is the passlock security system. if its malfuntion it will shut the car down everytime you start it.

if you cant find any simple solution i know there is a how to thread on bypassing passlock

Plug
06-07-2009, 07:16 PM
it does not happen every time i start the car but when it does i need to give it a little gas to get the rpm to stay at the point where it will continue to idle after i start it and let off the gas.

chuckclose1
06-07-2009, 09:07 PM
it does not happen every time i start the car but when it does i need to give it a little gas to get the rpm to stay at the point where it will continue to idle after i start it and let off the gas.

just outta curiousity do u know when the last time the fuel filter was changed? has it ever been changed?

thats the first thing to change bcuz its the cheapest and alot of times it solves the problem.

sounds like it might be ur feul pump is going up. but u should explore the cheaper options first

Plug
06-07-2009, 09:56 PM
I don't think it's fuel related but it is a possibility I guess. The filter has never been changed...190,000km.... canadian miles..lol. where is the fuel filter on these bastard cars??

I am very mechanically inclined, doing work to all my own vehicles since I learned to drive but this one baffles me. The Haynes manual says it could be as simple as a broken, cracked or loose vacuum line, a bad wire in the ignition system or faulty emissions or engine control system.

If it were vacuum I'm sure I'd here it.

I just spent abot $200 on tune up parts last summer including plug wires, cap and rotor.

skifreak122
06-08-2009, 07:16 AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50886