Rubbing noise on a 99 GAGT [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing noise on a 99 GAGT

Plug
06-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Ima getting what sounds like a tire rubbing on plastic noise when driving and turning the wheel slightly to the right..any idears?? I had the wheel off once and there was nothing obvious that jumped out at me. Maybe I need to spend a little extra time next time I remove the wheel. (was in a hurry at the time)

realestdriver
06-07-2009, 10:16 PM
i had that problem once, i had a splashguard that came loose.

sbart385
06-07-2009, 11:37 PM
I was about to say the same thing. I have the same thing but its just a splash guard thats loose.

Plug
07-25-2009, 09:12 AM
nope it isn't a splash gaurd. Ima going to yank the wheels today and see what I can find.

PhantomLover007
07-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Is it more like a grinding noise. The hub might be going bad. How many miles do you have on the GA?

Plug
08-19-2009, 09:26 PM
It's not really even a grinding noise. well maybe a very soft subtle grinding. It is more prominent when driving and pulling the car to the right but it goes away when I pull the car to the left....while driving.

I am still baffled.I did notice the plastic boot on the front right strut is loose so I cut off part of it so maybe it is the sound of it vibrating in the wind????

BOOTMASTER
08-20-2009, 07:18 AM
could be a lot of things.

1. i had a bent A-arm that caused the same problem. look at the tire when on the car and see if it looks centered in the wheel well. also compare it to the look of the passenger side. mine had a smaller gap towards the back of the car than the front. kinda hard to see, but once i looked at the other side of the car it was obvious.

2. it could need and alignment

3. wheel bearing

compyelc4
09-10-2009, 10:02 PM
We have a '99 GAGT. I remember getting a similar noise. It drove me crazy until I changed the tires out to Kuhmo ASX's. It seems the OEM Goodyears have a ribbed area around the area where the bead seats against the wheel rim. During very slow driving and on slow turns the rubber beads were squirming against the rim and causing this "scrunching" noise. Try this to see if this could be your problem: inflate the tires to about 45 lbs. and take her for a drive. If the noise seems to decrease then those tires are probably your problem. Good luck.