amp installation [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : amp installation

playmaker0411
06-07-2009, 04:18 PM
i have a 01 GAGT and i have a sony explod deck and i tried hooking up my visonik subs and my visonik 400 watt amp and couldnt get it to work at all. Does anyone know what im doing wrong???

aiixon
06-07-2009, 04:22 PM
you don't really have enough information for anyone to help you at all. give a rundown of how you wired your system and ill help you...

playmaker0411
06-07-2009, 04:30 PM
well i have my RCAs plugged into the back of my deck. The remote wire is connected to the remote wire that comes out of the back of my deck. And then the power wire to the battery. Do you think it could be something with how my grand am had the monsoon radio system?

Sparky'sGA01
06-07-2009, 05:35 PM
What about ground? you didnt say anything about it? did you ground your amp? is it a good ground that you know of?

your getting power to the amp but no signal?? what all is going on??

Plug
06-07-2009, 05:38 PM
what do you have your ground wire attatched too?? Where is your amp located? If under the seat then ground to the seat mounting bolt. If in the trunk then try grounding to either the body, ie bare metal surface under the spare, or the trunk lid springs.

playmaker0411
06-07-2009, 06:03 PM
i have the amp in the trunk. It is grounded to a bolt that is holding on a bracket. The ground wire is only about 3 ft. The amp isnt getting any power. Could it be something with the monsoon system? Do i have to hook the remote wire to something else not just the remote wire that is coming out of the back of my deck?

chris_gt_74
06-07-2009, 06:51 PM
It's not the monsoon system. I wired my stereo up with the monsoon amp intact because I didn't replace any factory speakers. I only added the aftermarket amp to power my single subwoofer. All you really need to do is verify your power and remote wires are getting power by using a test light or a multimeter. If they are then your ground will likely be the fault. I grounded my amp using the bolt right underneath the rear left tail light. Which happens to be pretty close to the stock monsoon amp. Be sure that you remove any paint around that bolt or you won't get a good ground. You can use really any bolt that you know for sure is attached to the metal body, just be sure to scrape down to bare metal or it will not ground.

chuckclose1
06-07-2009, 07:28 PM
another comon problem i would see people make is grabing the first blue wire they see on a HU and thinking its the remote. alot of aftermarket radios use a blue wire for the power antenna which dont get used in most casses. make sure you have the correct wire for the remote

also check the fuses on the amp itself. they could be bad or had blown during the install.

also do you have power to the HU. without some more info on how its wired i cant help u any further

playmaker
06-08-2009, 05:25 PM
my HU works perfect. I'm pretty sure i have the RCAs plugged into the right one. I have them plugged into the rear/sub ports. I also have the remote wire with the blue one thats with my HU

thormxkid
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
do you have a power light on your amp ?

thormxkid
06-08-2009, 09:00 PM
or is it somthing really simple like your amps working but you didn't hook your speaker wire up inside your sub box

playmaker
06-08-2009, 10:56 PM
yeah i have a power light on the amp. no its not because i had my subs hooked up to the back 6X9s and they worked. Do you think it could be something with like the terminal i'm using to connect the power to the battery? Do you have subs in your GA? and if you do where did you ground your amp to

chris_gt_74
06-08-2009, 11:21 PM
It's not the monsoon system. I wired my stereo up with the monsoon amp intact because I didn't replace any factory speakers. I only added the aftermarket amp to power my single subwoofer. All you really need to do is verify your power and remote wires are getting power by using a test light or a multimeter. If they are then your ground will likely be the fault. I grounded my amp using the bolt right underneath the rear left tail light. Which happens to be pretty close to the stock monsoon amp. Be sure that you remove any paint around that bolt or you won't get a good ground. You can use really any bolt that you know for sure is attached to the metal body, just be sure to scrape down to bare metal or it will not ground.

I answered this above. Where you ground it is not an issue as long as it's a good electrical ground.

thormxkid
06-09-2009, 12:06 AM
ground it as close as possible to the amp

chuckclose1
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
do you have a multi meter? if not i beleive there r some for like $10 at the auto stores.

find out what is getting power and whats not.
start from the front and work your way back to each connection. then post some more info on your findings and we will be able to help you more

cmtapanes
06-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Make sure the ground wire is actually touching the metal surface and not the paint. Scratch the paint out and let the wire touch the metal of the car. If you don't scratch the paint you don't have a good ground.

Edit: also make sure is metal and not aluminum.

playmaker
06-09-2009, 08:22 PM
ok all try all of this and let you guys know what i come up with

ga2001gt532
06-09-2009, 10:40 PM
or you could try ditching your remote wire on the sony deck and taking it off of the monsoon amp. thats what i did when my factory radio was in their. what color is the light on the amp. usualy they have two colors, green/blue when its working and red when its in protection mode. first just make sure all your wires are good and they have no cuts in them and check the fuse.

burgett2103
06-10-2009, 12:47 AM
ground it to a bolt that holds the monsoon amp in place. Run the power wire to the fuse relay system under the hood

IanGT99
06-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Also make the sub output is turned on within your HU. I have a higher end Sony deck and you can turn the sub output on and off. That would explain why you're getting power to the amp, but no sound out of the sub/s. A lot of other Sony decks combine the rear and sub output into one set of RCA's and you can select a full range signal for rear, a low frequency signal for subs, or turn it off completely. Check that out, too. If that's not the problem and you have a green or blue light on the amp showing the amp is powered up, check all your speaker connections and fuses.

playmaker
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
How would i run the power wire to the fuse relay system under the hood?

chuckclose1
06-10-2009, 08:19 PM
How would i run the power wire to the fuse relay system under the hood?

i beleive he is talking about where the hot wire runs from the battery to the fuse pannel. it bolts down there and is easy to add power wires to that location

burgett2103
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
no.. i mean run power wire directly to the positive connection on the fuse relay panel. It works great for me that's how i've done it with both my systems

IanGT99
06-11-2009, 11:14 AM
^^^ Eh, I wouldn't recommend that. If you're running 4 gauge or bigger power wire, you'll get a better feed straight from the battery.

burgett2103
06-11-2009, 12:22 PM
i had owner of electronic stroe do it the second time and he ran it straight to fuse panel

IanGT99
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
What size amp was it? If it was a smaller one, I could see that working as long as there was a large enough slot not being used... like a 30 amp one. I haven't looked at the under-hood panel in a while, so I'm not sure if there is one. A good rule of thumb is to just go to the battery and do an inline fuse.

burgett2103
06-12-2009, 01:07 AM
i forgot what it is but i have in line fuse going straight to the positive bolt on the fuse panel :p

IanGT99
06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Ah, that makes more sense. I thought you were trying to take power straight from one of the fuse inputs. I would check the gauge of power wire going to the fuse panel, though. If it's smaller wire, then you're not getting the same amount of current you'd get going straight from the battery. If the fuse panel's feed is only 10 gauge and you're using 4 gauge, you're only getting what the 10 gauge can handle. That's why I think a straight-from-the-battery run is much better.

chuckclose1
06-12-2009, 05:58 PM
no.. i mean run power wire directly to the positive connection on the fuse relay panel. It works great for me that's how i've done it with both my systems

wow.... thats exactly what i said u were saying and u said no then said the same thing lol

burgett2103
06-12-2009, 10:36 PM
oh lol my bad haha :p

playmaker
06-14-2009, 05:43 PM
or you could try ditching your remote wire on the sony deck and taking it off of the monsoon amp. thats what i did when my factory radio was in their. what color is the light on the amp. usualy they have two colors, green/blue when its working and red when its in protection mode. first just make sure all your wires are good and they have no cuts in them and check the fuse.

what color wire is it? and where do you have your amp grounded to?

playmaker
06-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Could anyone tell me if this would work. I have 2 visonik 12inch subs and a 400watt visonik amp. I also have a sony explod deck. Would i be able to connect the remote turn on wire from my amp to E10 on the monsoon amp, and then connect my power wire to the battery and connect my RCAs to my sony explode deck, and then just ground the amp????

chuckclose1
06-14-2009, 08:44 PM
Could anyone tell me if this would work. I have 2 visonik 12inch subs and a 400watt visonik amp. I also have a sony explod deck. Would i be able to connect the remote turn on wire from my amp to E10 on the monsoon amp, and then connect my power wire to the battery and connect my RCAs to my sony explode deck, and then just ground the amp????

first i need more info.
do you have your sony HU hooked up and working yet?
is it still useing the monsoon amp and all is working ?

if you have all that hooked up and working then the answer to your question is yes.
thats all you need to do to hook up the new amp
only im not sure the pin number for the remote on the monsoon amp. you will have to test it with a multimeter

playmaker
06-15-2009, 10:19 AM
first i need more info.
do you have your sony HU hooked up and working yet?
is it still useing the monsoon amp and all is working ?

if you have all that hooked up and working then the answer to your question is yes.
thats all you need to do to hook up the new amp
only im not sure the pin number for the remote on the monsoon amp. you will have to test it with a multimeter

Yes my HU is working. And i dont know if the new HU is going off of the monsoon amp because best buy installed it for me.

IanGT99
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM
^^^ Best Buy wouldn't have uninstalled your stock amp if you didn't purchase a 4-channel amp through them and have them install it. Trust me. They can't and won't do anything you don't tell them to do. So your stocker is still there and driving the speakers. As long as you take the remote wire to some accessory lead (only turns on when you turn the ignition on), you'll be fine.

playmaker
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
^^^ Best Buy wouldn't have uninstalled your stock amp if you didn't purchase a 4-channel amp through them and have them install it. Trust me. They can't and won't do anything you don't tell them to do. So your stocker is still there and driving the speakers. As long as you take the remote wire to some accessory lead (only turns on when you turn the ignition on), you'll be fine.

alright. I think i might just hook up my remote wire and power wire to the fuse box. When i try to unsrew my negative on my battery is sparks when the wrench touchs the bolt, is this normal?? And on my amp do i connect the RCAs to the input or output?

IanGT99
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
A few sparks is normal, especially when you put the terminal back on the battery. If it's an exorbitant amount of sparking, that's not very normal. I'd have your battery checked.

When asking about inputs and outputs, it's the same no matter if it's home A/V, mobile A/V, or anything else. Just think of it this way, the thing that's creating the signal (your HU) is OUTPUTTING that signal to a receiving component that is INPUTTING the signal. So to answer your question, the RCA's should go from the output of the HU to the input of the amp. The output on the amp is a stereo pass-through so you can connect another amp without having to run RCA's all the way from the HU again.

burgett2103
06-16-2009, 10:16 PM
do exactly ian said

playmaker
06-17-2009, 04:45 PM
thanks for the help guys. I got it working today

IanGT99
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Nice! What was the problem? Inputs and outputs? It's an easy mistake to make. Glad to hear it's all working right now.

KillNThrill24
06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
niceee. what was the issue?

playmaker
06-17-2009, 11:10 PM
well the first time i tried hooking up my system i used the blue remote wire on my HU and nothing worked. so then i came on here and someone suggested that i connect the power wire and remote wire to the fuse box and i did this and it works

burgett2103
06-18-2009, 12:37 AM
your welcome!

chuckclose1
06-18-2009, 04:20 PM
lol seen it a thousand times. i said most ppl hook up to the wrong remote wire thinking because its blue it the remote. i learned that the hard way on my first install way back in the day. the blue wire i grabed was power antena not remote took alot of time to figure that out. lol after i opened my shop i had so many ppl bring there ride in after trying to install their self and alot of times thats all they did wrong, the remote wire

im glad to see you got it working. how does it sound?

playmaker
06-18-2009, 05:56 PM
it sounds pretty good. They aren't the best pair of subs you could get and i only have a 400watt amp but it sounds good enough for me

burgett2103
06-19-2009, 07:22 PM
that's good at least you got some thump

Jhashwa
06-24-2009, 11:05 PM
Your going to wire it properly instead of leaving the remote wire connected to constant power I hope? If you don't the amp will stay on and kill the battery.

burgett2103
06-24-2009, 11:06 PM
if he did what we were saying, remote is going into a fuse that has power when the key is turned to on, or to the back of the hu

Jhashwa
06-24-2009, 11:12 PM
I see, that's acceptable. the only issue there is the amp stays on anytime the key is on, and doesn't turn off with the deck. Not a big deal I am just a perfectionist! lol

burgett2103
06-24-2009, 11:13 PM
haha yeah with my first system i had rem wired to sunroof fuse.. but when i got my new system and new deck i did it all the "right" way

IanGT99
06-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I see, that's acceptable. the only issue there is the amp stays on anytime the key is on, and doesn't turn off with the deck. Not a big deal I am just a perfectionist! lol

Yes, but think about it... How often do you actually have your HU off when you've got the engine running? Unless you have the windows down, the sunroof open, the wind is blowing through the vehicle, and you don't care to hear music, it's still gonna be on. I just turn mine down all the way. I'm pretty sure I've never turned it off.

playmaker
06-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Your going to wire it properly instead of leaving the remote wire connected to constant power I hope? If you don't the amp will stay on and kill the battery.

I installed a toggle switch to turn the amp on and off

chuckclose1
06-26-2009, 06:03 PM
I installed a toggle switch to turn the amp on and off

it is not that hard to find a wire to tap that reads 12v when on and 0 when off.

there is dozens of options in the dash of every car. you should really invest in a multimeter and hook it up right.

what happens when you forget to flip that toggle on a cold winter night?