Cheap fix [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Cheap fix

banditopilot
06-07-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a 2001 gt ram air.. 255,000 Miles. Original engine,tranny. I only had one issue last 70k miles. The rpms would jump like crazy when I was on the freeway or hard on the gas. Cleaned my mass airflow sensor with break cleaner. That fixed that. Last week sitting at a light.. Boom .. Thought it was going to die. Idle was real rough and started missing. Last time it was in for an oils change,I do it every 2k miles,the guy said hey you need to change your fuel filter. I went and did that. Still ran rough. Thought maybe I lost a coil pack. No engine light. Ran some more marvels mystry oil then usual through the gas. Nothing. Thought EGR valve.. I was lost. Finnally got an engine light last night. Couldnt wait to get to autozone to see what the car was telling me. #2 cyl misfire. The guy said prolly a pack. I said lemme try a plug first. Is was #2 right in front.. Go figure.. 6 bucks. Runs like new. Sometimes it can be a very simple thing.. thats my story for the day. I was a very happy guy !! This car still has another 100k easy.. i dont drive it hard..no synthetic.

FromTheInside
06-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Good for you I wish my intermittent #3 misfire that misses 25% of the time (as shown on a computer) was as simple as your fix. I still have no clue what's wrong with mine and neither do 3 mechanics. I've replaced everything. Congrats though.

Rich
06-07-2009, 09:47 PM
was the engine rebuilt or something?

AaronGTR
06-08-2009, 08:00 AM
Don't clean your maf sensor with brake cleaner, that's not what it's designed for and might damage it. There is a specific cleaner you can get for electrical parts and it only costs a few dollars. ;)