ARG! Wheel bearing question... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : ARG! Wheel bearing question...

[ChaosweaveR]
06-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Alright, it hasn't been consistent, but for the third time in three weeks, my ABS, SVS, and trac off light all popped on at once. When that would happen, I'd just turn the car off, then start it back up, then no issues for awhile. Are my wheel bearings starting to go? I just hit 101k yesterday.

BattousaiX33
06-10-2009, 11:08 AM
do you have any vibration on the highway? i'm pretty sure that those three lights will say that one of your wheel speed sensors are bad. if that that is the case you have to replace the bearing since it is one unit. i get those 3 lights everytime i drive my car, and on the highway i get a vibration above 55mph.

[ChaosweaveR]
06-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I get the slightest of vibration while driving on the highway. But like I said, it's not consistent. It might even be just my wheels. I'm rotating my tires soon, and I'll check for a difference in vibration then.

wvgrandamgt2000
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I don't know, when my bearing went bad it started like that and then eventually all the lights just stayed on. Might not be a bad idea to take a good look at it.

aiixon
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
same here. another way to check - pay really close attention when you're braking. come up to an intersection or something and do a semi-fast brake and you should feel your car kind of roll like it has oval shaped tires or something. It will be really really subtle unless your problem is really bad so pay really close attention.

skifreak122
06-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Those lights are coming on most likely due to an issue with your speed sensor not the bearing itself.

The first thing I would check is your wheel speed sensor wires/connections. Take your wheel off (makes it much easier to get to). You'll see a connection on the inside of the hub. check the wires and make sure they are in good condition and then take the plug apart and clean it well. Spray some WD-40 or similar and put it all back together.

It's worth a try before spending all that money on new parts.

GrandAmGTTT
06-10-2009, 10:50 PM
If its your wheel bearing you'll hear a griding sorta noise when u turn one way or the other. It would get louder when u turn one way

RPO3
06-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Happened to me a month ago, felt that rumble and it was my bearings.
Replaced those bitches and put on my new brakes. 1st pic below look familiar???

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/rpo305_2008/SNV30750.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/rpo305_2008/SNV30829.jpg

http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/rpo305_2008/SNV30835.jpg

Pauljp
06-11-2009, 05:20 AM
Those lights are coming on most likely due to an issue with your speed sensor not the bearing itself.

The first thing I would check is your wheel speed sensor wires/connections. Take your wheel off (makes it much easier to get to). You'll see a connection on the inside of the hub. check the wires and make sure they are in good condition and then take the plug apart and clean it well. Spray some WD-40 or similar and put it all back together.

It's worth a try before spending all that money on new parts.

That is exactly what I would try first. It is the cheapest and easiest thing to do.
I had the same problem last year, so I took the connectors apart, cleaned them up, put some di-electric grease on them and put them back together. Haven't had a problem since.

[ChaosweaveR]
06-11-2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I certainly don't have a grinding noise under turns, so I'll give the plugs a cleaning. I know these are the original hubs, so I'm happy they're still good after all these miles. The tires are being rotated before my roadtrip to New Jersey on Saturday, so I'll give the sensors a once over then.