Sorry guys still the SES [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Sorry guys still the SES

drumking1721
06-12-2009, 09:24 PM
Alright its been a couple weeks now, and the light will not go out. Im wondering if the light is do to the MAF not being calibrated to my CAI....would this be causing it to run rich on bank 1?

sbart385
06-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Go have the code read again, could be a different code now. if its the same have them erase it so the SES light goes off. If it comes back on then there is still something else the dealer didnt fix

drumking1721
06-12-2009, 11:05 PM
well i looked at the machine at the dealership the whole time...everything was good except the MAF, like i said the numbers were off on the re manufactured one i bought...and i bought the new OEM one. Car runs great, just under 1000rpm is weird,cold start is rough...gas mileage is 25-28mpg.....but the idle is weird and the light just will not go away. Ive reset the computer a couple times and comes back on between 50-100miles....idk if its a wiring issue or what...Plus the k&n cone got soaked in gas. It could also be the Napa FPR i bought as well, alot of different varibles. I hate to repeat, but it bugs me. This SES light didnt come on until i replaced the FPR, then all the issues started. Ive always been reading online that the Coolant temp sensor is tide in with the fuel injection. So if its giving the wrong temp, its giving to much fuel on start up, but idk why the coolant temp sensor would go when the FPR went. So like i said alot of things i cannot seem to figure out.

sbart385
06-12-2009, 11:52 PM
Ok when you say that you reset the computer did you actually get a code reader and erase the codes that way or just disconnect the battery for an hour? If you just disconnect the battery it doesnt always clear all of the codes from the PCM. Also have you actually gotten the code read again and verified that it is still the same code being pulled? Like I stated above the original code may have gone away and been replaced with a new one.

AaronGTR
06-13-2009, 10:47 AM
There really is no "calibrating" the maf sensor to the cai. If the maf sensor is working properly... ie it still has the screen, the wires aren't damaged, and it's in a smooth somewhat straight section of pipe... then it reads what it reads. Any corrections that need to be made will be made by the IAT and MAP sensors. It has nothing to do with the MAF and the cai. If there is something going on with the idle it's probably related to something else (thats assuming the MAF is good). Get the codes on the PCM read again and actually cleared with a scan tool.

drumking1721
06-13-2009, 09:54 PM
P0172....Cleared it...we'll see what happens in the next couple days...

drumking1721
06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Its back on...same code

drumking1721
06-15-2009, 09:56 PM
well just put 70 miles on her with the SES light on. Stopped at meijer to get something. Started the car and its out.....Idk anymore

AaronGTR
06-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Well, that code has nothing to do with the MAF. P0172 is a "fuel trim system rich" dtc code. The pcm uses the O2 sensor to adjust fuel trims during closed loop operation (not in power enrichment, under 70% throttle). If the O2 sensor is detecting a rich condition the fuel trims go negative as the pcm pulls fuel. If the pcm determines exhaust emissions are reaching an excessive level due to too much fuel trim adjustment either plus or minus, then it sets a fuel trim code. It turns on the MIL (SES light) if the fault is active within the same conditions for 2 out of 80 ignition cycles, or after 2 ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs with the fault active. The pcm stores operating condition data at the time of the fault in the freeze frame records and stores a history dtc. After 3 consecutive ignition cycles in which the diagnostic runs without a fault within the freeze frame conditions that set the dtc, the MIL will turn off, but the history dtc will still be stored in the pcm for 40 consecutive ignition cycles without a fault.

In plain english, something happened with either yor fuel system or O2 sensor to make your fuel trims go negative to the point where the pcm thought emissions where higher and it turned on the SES light, then you took three trips without it experiencing a fault under the exact same conditions so it turned the SES light off, but you should still have a code stored in the pcm.

drumking1721
06-16-2009, 01:33 PM
well it just came back on this morning on the way to class. This all stemmed from a bad FPR, replaced with an OEM on and the light came on...this was 4-5 weeks ago

drumking1721
06-17-2009, 10:32 AM
it was from NAPA anyways...

AaronGTR
06-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm thinking maybe they gave you the wrong FPR then? Or it was defective maybe? If for some reason it was making the fuel pressure very high that would change the effective flow rate of the injectors, making it run rich and the fuel trims would go negative. Might want to check the pressure at the rail. It should be 48psi at idle and 55psi at wot for your year.

drumking1721
06-17-2009, 04:48 PM
yea....i found my stock one that was on there before i put the aftermarket one on, and then once the aftermarket went i put the NAPA on...No the light is intermittent..woke up this morning and it was off,left for class came back on...

chuckclose1
06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
well it just came back on this morning on the way to class. This all stemmed from a bad FPR, replaced with an OEM on and the light came on...this was 4-5 weeks ago

look at the recall post i put up in the warrenty section. the first recall on the list is for fault fpr's sold after 07 as replacements in alot of diff stores.
check the codes it list , u might have gotten one of those bad fpr's.

just a thought. figure its worth a look

drumking1721
06-17-2009, 10:16 PM
wow....ill check that out thanks

drumking1721
06-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Well like I said...ill have some time tomorrow. i found my original stock one, it was good when i originally took it off...ill swap them out tomorrow and see if it changes