Parking Brake stays ON!!! [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake stays ON!!!

nextstorm
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Problem: My Grand AM GT 2002 Coupe Parking Brake light stays ON

Reviewed by Myself: I check the brake Fluid Level, It is Ok... anyway I filled more than the maximum... Same problem.

I check the Voltage, on the Brake Fluid Sensor, one cable indicates around 2.8 volts. Then I activate the Floater and the voltaje Drops to 0. I don't know if this is correct or not.

I supposed that it is not the Parking Brake because when I pull the parking Brake while driving, it start the chime alarming the fact that I am using the parking brake.

My biggest doubt is the voltaje on the Brake Fluid Sensor.

Does anyone knows the correct Voltage on the brake fluid sensor?
Does anyone knows if on the parking brake exist more than one signal, one for the chime and other for the parking brake light?

THANKS A LOT!

NEXTSTORM!

AaronGTR
06-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Brake fluid doesn't have anything to do with the parking brake. It's not operated by the calipers. The rear disc has a large drum type brake shoe inside the hub of the disc that is the parking brake, and it's completely operated by a cable attached to the parking brake handle. The switch that turns on the red "brake" light in the gauge cluster is located on the parking brake handle itself, under the center console. If the brake light stays on while you are driving, your traction control and abs lights should also be on and you'd hear a chime. This would probably be caused by either a faulty switch, or the parking brake cables themselves actually sticking and not allowing the brake to fully disengage.

dmalle02
06-18-2009, 03:25 AM
so the parking brake cable could ause abs light and no trac light to come on too? r5eason i ask is because i have these lights aswel and i know my ebrake cable is shotty. hpwever the lights are also accompanied by the svs light...

skifreak122
06-18-2009, 07:01 AM
Normally when I hear of abs, trac, and svs lights my first thought is the wheel speed sensors...

http://grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=79958&highlight=wheel+speed+sensor

However, since you've mentioned that you have a brake light and bad cable I'm not certain if all the lights are related to 1 problem or a couple of different ones.

ga2001gt532
06-18-2009, 11:40 AM
when my bearing went out and the wires ate themselves i had the brake llight come on to but i would check that brake switch first.

lvemy3100
06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
possibly the parking brake release switch... they are ~$10.00

autozone part # is sw2088

Bratthauer
06-19-2009, 03:10 PM
when my bearing went out and the wires ate themselves i had the brake llight come on to but i would check that brake switch first.

same here but i also had abs and traction light and they were the front bearings. but if the bearings are going out it would be louder than normal.