Clunking when putting it into gear after trac off [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Clunking when putting it into gear after trac off

Bests
06-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Hi, so we have been having what sounds like a common problem with trac off and service engine soon light coming on. We don't have an owners manual, and I haven't heard mention of a loud clunk. It happens when you turn the car off when the trac off light is on and then after you restart it and put it into drive. Is this normal after the trac off, just reingaging or something? Also, could the trac off affect the tranny and/or motor? Thanks for any help!

PhantomLover007
06-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Mike Jung has posted a link to owners manuals for Canadians if you need one.

Bests
06-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Thanks Matt, I might check that out. Although we plan on selling it soon. I was hoping somebody would know about the clunk, and also if you drive it while you're having the trac off, SES, warnings, if you could do damage to the motor or Tranny. This is my first post and I'm not sure if this was the appropriate place to post this, or if I should have tried to figure out how to post in the technical Q&A section. Thanks again!

beelzebob
06-20-2009, 07:36 PM
oh, ;crap Sounds like a serious tranny problem to me.

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

Bests
06-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Hi Bob. It only does it after the trac off light goes on. We have to shut the car off for the light to go off, and then it clunks next time we put it in gear. This has probably been going on for about a year and a half now, so I sure hope you're not correct. We just replaced the motor and need to replace a couple of springs and the brake pads next week. I was hoping people would say that's what theirs does after trac off, that it's just reingaging or something. Crap, I don't know what we'll do if the tranny is going. Tranny fluid was checked today and it was full, if that means anything?

chuckclose1
06-20-2009, 09:45 PM
track light is mostlikely caused by the sensor in the wheel hub going bad. that is a comon problem with these cars. you have to change the whole hub bcuz the sensor is built into it.

as for the clunk are u sure its coming from the trany area? can u tell where exactly the sound is coming from?
u could have a control arm or axcel going bad or even the wheel hub itself and that would explane why u hear it at the time the light comes on bcuz the sensor is in the hub.

i sugjest u take it to ur local shop and have them look at it b4 it gets worse.

i hope this helps u

Bests
06-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. We're hoping that the trac off is happening because of a front broken spring our mechanic found today. As for the clunk, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the tire area but that's all I can guess at!LOL. Do you happen to know what trac off actually means? I know it has to do with traction control, but without a manual I'm not sure what trac off is. Thanks again! p.s. the clunk only happens after the trac off light had been on.

chuckclose1
06-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Hi Chuck, thanks for your reply. We're hoping that the trac off is happening because of a front broken spring our mechanic found today. As for the clunk, it doesn't sound like it's coming from the tire area but that's all I can guess at!LOL. Do you happen to know what trac off actually means? I know it has to do with traction control, but without a manual I'm not sure what trac off is. Thanks again! p.s. the clunk only happens after the trac off light had been on.

the light is just telling u the electronic traction system is not engaged. its controlled by the ECU.

i can almost garuntee that u will have to replace that hub for that sensor. with the spring broken it took a beating and they go up all the time on these cars

Bests
06-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks Chuck. I will have him check the sensor (if that's possible?) when he does the springs.

Bests
06-21-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey, I just realized after searching other posts that nobody mentions that when trac off happens the car bogs right down. We always pull over right away and then when we restart it, after the clunk when we put it in gear, it drives fine. Is it not normal to bog down when trac goes off?

bryanw0087
07-02-2009, 12:07 PM
why is your trac going off in the first place?

Bests
07-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi Bryan. I'm not sure, but knock on wood, since we got the springs done and the brakes done, it hasn't done it since. But it is a common problem, sometimes caused by a sensor. If it happens again, we will get it scanned to hopefully get it figured out. We had it scanned at a local garage before, but it didn't show anything. Next time we will go to a dealership to have it scanned.

bryanw0087
07-02-2009, 12:54 PM
thats good that it got worked out, hopefully it doesnt come back, yeah very weird that it was turning your traction off and then clunking, may also be a bad sensor in one of your wheel hubs causing the light and trac to turn off, but idk about a clunking... weird

chuckclose1
07-02-2009, 04:07 PM
We had it scanned at a local garage before, but it didn't show anything. Next time we will go to a dealership to have it scanned.

you really dont have to go to the dealer to have it scaned anywhere will do the same thing as long as they offer that service.

the important thing to remember is when the SES light is on, thats when you take it. dont turn the car off bcuz when they turn it back on to scan it it might not not come on right away and thats why they wont find a code

rocketfast123
07-03-2009, 08:48 AM
the important thing to remember is when the SES light is on, thats when you take it. dont turn the car off bcuz when they turn it back on to scan it it might not not come on right away and thats why they wont find a code

You can still pull codes if the light is off. It stays in memory for like 30 starts if everthing goes back to normal.

To the OP
Have you cleaned your IAT sensor in the intake?

Bests
07-03-2009, 11:57 AM
Hi Tater Salad!LOL. Thanks for your response. No we didn't clean the IAT sensor, but if it starts happening again, we will try that. Thanks again, Becky.

chuckclose1
07-03-2009, 04:59 PM
You can still pull codes if the light is off. It stays in memory for like 30 starts if everthing goes back to normal.

To the OP
Have you cleaned your IAT sensor in the intake?

not trying to change the subject any but the wheel senser code does not store.
i just went through this with mine and thought it would of stored too but it did not.

i was told that the ecu does not store all codes just critical ones, so i had to wait for it to come back on and take it back. and this is from 2 seperate shops checking for it.
( if anyone knows exactly how this works with storeing the codes i would sure like to know bcuz i was under the impresion that all codes were stored)

rocketfast123
07-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Wheel senser code is trac off and maybe the abs light on.