SE-GT engine difference? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : SE-GT engine difference?

Ty1977
06-20-2009, 08:49 AM
I blew up the 3.4 in my GT, and I found a replacement for it, a 3.4 out of an SE. Now, I've driven both before, and maybe it's all in my head, but is there some kind of difference between the 3.4 in the SE and the one in the GT? It really seems like there's a difference in power. If there's a real difference I don't want to end up with a sissy GT :P

Since I have to replace the engine anyway, maybe there's a different swap I could do? I dunno. I'm not looking to spend boatloads of cash. Suggestions?

stewartfn18
06-20-2009, 10:20 AM
the main difference that gives the gt 5 more hp than the se is intake and exhaust, the engine itself is not different at all. you could pick up a used 3500 and swap it in, but that would take soem research on your part to make sure you had everything to do it successfully. not much is different between the 34 and 35, but there is a few few things. you could also just do a top swap and use the 3400 bottom end with 3500 heads and LIM with a 3400 UIM. that would be the easiest top swap. theres also things like a cam and such that would be a benificial mod with the engine out to mod, but things start to get a expensive and you said money is a factor.

AaronGTR
06-20-2009, 02:33 PM
The final drive ratio is different between the SE and GT too and that is probably where most of the perceived power difference is from. The engines themselves are exactly the same. The GT has the ram air intake and the dual outlet muffler which is where the 5hp difference is supposed to come from. 5hp is so small though you wouldn't notice it just from driving the car.

Ty1977
06-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Must have all been in my head then, maybe subconsciously knowing it wasn't a GT made it feel that way, haha.

Well I found the engine, I guess i'm gonna put it in soon, or have it put in, I wouldn't want to mess anything up, but geez that's some expensive labor. I'm fairly knowledgeable in mechanics, but i've never done an engine replacement before so this may be an adventure. The guy also said he has a 3500 UIM. How could I make that work, or would it make much difference?

stewartfn18
06-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Must have all been in my head then, maybe subconsciously knowing it wasn't a GT made it feel that way, haha.

Well I found the engine, I guess i'm gonna put it in soon, or have it put in, I wouldn't want to mess anything up, but geez that's some expensive labor. I'm fairly knowledgeable in mechanics, but i've never done an engine replacement before so this may be an adventure. The guy also said he has a 3500 UIM. How could I make that work, or would it make much difference?
stock and by itself, no the 3500 UIM will not make a difference. it'd be more of a hassle is youre not doing any porting and not worth the time.