Brake light stays on [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Brake light stays on

sooner1
06-23-2009, 10:14 PM
Hello,

Couple of things about my son's 2000 GrandAm GT. A few months ago, the BRAKE light came on. We pulled the wheels off and replaced the pads and the rotors and it stayed on.
Called a dealership and they said sensor and that it is in the Master Cylinder and that I have to replace that to fix the issue. Is this true? Does anyone else have experience with this, and if so how hard is it to replace the Mater Cylinder.

As a side note, the cruise control doesn't work and I'm guessing this has something to do with it (CC won't engage with this light on), but just guessing.

Any and all kind thoughs appreciated

Boomer Sooner (and go UT in the CWS)

2000 GT Coupe
06-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Check the fluid level in the master cylinder? Low fluid will turn on the brake light.
You could get the abs computer read get the codes it should tell you why the brake light is on.
Do you have the abs light on too?
And yes anytime the red brake light comes on it sends a cruise inhibit signal.

ltpats
06-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Could the problem be in your E-brake switch? Just throwing that out there. Maybe disconnect it and see if the light goes out.

2000 GT Coupe
06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Could the problem be in your E-brake switch? Just throwing that out there. Maybe disconnect it and see if the light goes out.

Nice catch that would be a good thing to check out too.

AaronGTR
06-25-2009, 12:13 PM
Is it the ABS light or the "brake" light? The brake light is only for the parking brake and has nothing to do with the master cylinder. The ABS light would indicate a problem with the hydraulically operated brake system.

2000 GT Coupe
06-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Is it the ABS light or the "brake" light? The brake light is only for the parking brake and has nothing to do with the master cylinder. The ABS light would indicate a problem with the hydraulically operated brake system.

Not quite if your low on brake fluid your red brake light will come on.
Also your ABS computer can trigger the Red brake light on.

Hotrod6
06-25-2009, 11:56 PM
I had the same problem awhile back and it ended up being the float in the MC was messed up,may check that as well..I see your in Texas and are a sooner fan..I bet thats funlol

grandamguy3400
09-08-2009, 11:30 AM
you could check the 15 amp fuse under the hood and there is a 10 amp as well if one or both of them go out the brake light will go on

Ungato
08-24-2012, 02:25 PM
Also check the 50amp ABS fuse, sometimes that gets blown and the abs system is off so it triggers the brake light but not the abs or svs or trac off

shiwnath
08-24-2012, 02:35 PM
Also check the 50amp ABS fuse, sometimes that gets blown and the abs system is off so it triggers the brake light but not the abs or svs or trac off

This thread is 3 years old man... The problem is most likely solved by now...

pongagt
08-06-2013, 07:01 PM
This thread is 3 years old man... The problem is most likely solved by now...

The thread may have been 3 years old but others may still have the problem and his suggestion might help someone else having the problem like me. My red light only is staying on now and i'd rather check the fuses to eliminate that problem rather then pull the center console right away in order to check the e brake. I have problems with my e brake sticking so i will probably need to check that anyways. I have new rear e brake cables installed and a new front cable ready to be installed.