Neutral Safety Switch [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Safety Switch

sbart385
06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
So I replaced my NSS a couple months back and someone mentioned that it might be causing my new issues with my tranny. My question is, is there a certain criteria or way to adjust the NSS? I know there are slots to move it back and forth but never did find any info on properly adjusting it and was wondering if anyone knew off hand. Thanks again.

lone_wolf025
06-25-2009, 10:13 PM
NSS shouldn't be affecting your trans at all. Its only interface with the trans is just to determine if its in neutral or park so that you can't start the car while in gear and that's more of a function of the shifter than a signal from the trans.

sbart385
06-26-2009, 12:00 AM
ok but that didnt answer my question about the adjustment. And to my understanding it does also tell the PCM what the transmission is in whether it be P, R, N, D, 3, 2, or 1.

KhellendrosxS
06-26-2009, 04:19 AM
No, as stated its only function is to prevent you from starting the car while it is in gear. If your car is starting then it does not need to be adjusted because it is doing its job and telling the PCM the car is either in P or N. Its only other function is to disable the starter when in R, D, 3,2,1.