big tranny problem or something else [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : big tranny problem or something else

ga2001gt532
06-28-2009, 08:41 PM
after washing the car today i took it out to dry it off. so am driving around, had the radio off and stuff and i felt it like miss a gear of something going down a hill then i keep driving not thinking much. then i pull in a drive way to turn around, i backed up fine, started to drive forward it gets to the part where it shifts into 2 and boom it starts cuting out and makes the car jump in short jumps. i let off the gas alittle and start going agian then it was fine untill i got to a stop sign and it did it agian. is my tranny done for or could it be a sensor. i noticed once i got past the 1-2 shift it would run fine but seemed alittle boged down unless you hammered on it.
i don't have any lights on so i don't know what my problem is.

the car has 172000 some miles on it with unknown tranny replacement. i replaced the tranny fuild and filter 2-3000 miles ago.

Rebw
06-28-2009, 08:52 PM
It might have been a bad idea to change the transmission fluid and filter if you hadn't kept up regular maintenance on it. Did you change the fluid and filter regularly beforehand or could that have been the first time that it was ever changed.

ga2001gt532
06-28-2009, 09:19 PM
i got the car at 165000 and the fuild wasn't bad when i replaced it, it ran the same before and after untill now, but now i don't think this is tranny related, because i found out that champion plugs are bad for our cars and thats what i have in their. they are about .5 mm over gapped which i think could result in them blowing out. am gonna replace them tommorow and see what happens. or is their something else i should try while am at the store, after thinking about it, it feels just like when the traction control turns on when your on ice. once you let go of the gas it is normal

chris_gt_74
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
I have experienced a bogged down feeling to my car before also. It happens randomly and is usually cleared up by turning the car off, removing the key and restarting it. When I experience this behavior the car will idle lower than usual but will not die. when you drive it around it will act like it does not want to shift and it hesitates. But as you said if you stomp the gas it seems fine. My GA only has 71k on it, so I do not believe it to be the tranny at all. Like I said it is random and almost seems computer related or possibly fuel related. I haven't tried to locate the problem because it disappears as fast it appears and leaves no codes behind.

ga2001gt532
06-29-2009, 07:27 PM
well after getting some ngk iridums my car feels like it is brand new, the bogging down went totally away, if you want to have more power all you have to do is hit the gas unlike before if you slowly hit the gas and you wanted more, it wouldn't give it unless you let go of the gas then stumped on it.
as for the jumpy feeling i had yesterday, i don't know what that was and it doesn't do it any more, maybe the champion plugs were the culprit. i can't beleive i even put champions in this car.