uim gasket ? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : uim gasket ?

-trigger-
06-29-2009, 11:17 PM
ok this might be a stupid question. I did the lim gasket change and then once I got everything back together fuel leaks from the feed line (must have broke the o ring and not noticed). What I am wondering is do I need another new set of uim gaskets after I fix the leak? the car has not been turned on, just wondering if removing and once again installing the same gaskets is a bad idea even though they are new.

SuburbGT
06-29-2009, 11:23 PM
nah, you should be good

burgett2103
06-30-2009, 01:27 AM
they say to always change if you take it off but although it's new and you just did it i'm sure it shouldn't be a problem

Nick-G
06-30-2009, 02:25 AM
If your just replacing the o-ring on the feed side of the fuel rail their should be no need to remove the uim.

-trigger-
06-30-2009, 09:28 AM
how are you supposed to get to the nut?

AaronGTR
06-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Yeah, UIM has to come off to be able to get to the fuel line. You should not need to replace the gaskets again. I've re-used mine like that before. If they've been on the car a while and got baked on good, then they usually stick to the UIM and the paper tears when you take them off. Since they haven't got hot yet it won't be a problem.

-trigger-
06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
ok thanks

Grandamgtblk99
06-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Yea that's happened to me before. The gasket can be used again like everyone else said. The O-ring you are most likely going to have to go to the dealership for and bend over. I think I paid like $15 or so just for the one O-ring. And its really easy to rip those.

Nick-G
06-30-2009, 01:44 PM
Yeah, UIM has to come off to be able to get to the fuel line. You should not need to replace the gaskets again. I've re-used mine like that before. If they've been on the car a while and got baked on good, then they usually stick to the UIM and the paper tears when you take them off. Since they haven't got hot yet it won't be a problem.

I stand corrected. I forgot how much more space I have with the custom 3500 UIM.

Yea that's happened to me before. The gasket can be used again like everyone else said. The O-ring you are most likely going to have to go to the dealership for and bend over. I think I paid like $15 or so just for the one O-ring. And its really easy to rip those.

I don't have the part number anymore but I did find a pack with several universal o-rings in it at advanced auto parts and one of them fits perfect.

-trigger-
06-30-2009, 02:18 PM
just got one at the dealer today, $13 for a single o ring.

alerored04
06-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Nick I have used that same pack. It is still holding a seal after two years. Saved ten bucks.

AaronGTR
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
Yes, I also got the same O-ring from a multi pack at the auto parts store and only paid a few dollars for it. Don't waste your money getting one at the dealer.

-trigger-
07-02-2009, 07:15 PM
good and bad news, fuel leak is fixed and the new gaskets seemed to have fixed the coolant leak, BUT my uim is cracked along a couple bolts! I torqued them down to spec but whatever. I want to know whether I should get the sportsman or competition uim from WOT Tech, going to get a ported uim with a 62mm opening for a future TB. What is the difference between the two?

edit: probably will just look for a stock replacement from a member or the j-yard to save money to paint my kit, also I just found that damn fuel line o ring on the floor, no rips or anything!