car wont start.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : car wont start....

burnsy86
07-01-2009, 11:41 AM
i have a 97 grand am se with 3.1.
car has 185xxx miles on it
heres what happens:
put key in and turn it, radio comes on lights still sork, but it dosent even try to turn over... no click or anything

any ideas?

burnsy86
07-01-2009, 12:01 PM
now it suddenly starts after i rolled it back 6inches and shifted in to park from nutral at least ten times

any ideas?

04GrandAM SC/T
07-01-2009, 12:18 PM
That would be your ignition solenoid (the part you put your key in to start the car)that is bad.

Does your security light stay on? If it does then thats your problem. If you leave the ignition on in the accessories position for 10 minutes you should be able to start it.

2 ways to fix it, Take your dash apart and cut the yellow wire that leads to your ignition solenoid which is your security wire or replace the solenoid and have a dealership re-learn it to your BCM (Body Control Module) it can cost up to $600 if you take it somewhere to fix it.

burnsy86
07-01-2009, 12:57 PM
the security light is always off. the only thing strange about the car lately is that it has a small coolant leak comming from what looks like rught behind the driver side headlight.

the key was in the ignition the whole time i was messing with it.. possibly that was it like you said..

is there a way to test the solenoid before replacement?

did i understand right, i can cut yellow wire and not worry about it?

04GrandAM SC/T
07-01-2009, 01:33 PM
i was told you can cut the wire with no problem but i didn't wanna do that so i replaced it silonoid.

You can go to a repair shop and have them run a diagnoses test on it to see if its bad. They tested all my electrical stuff and it cost me about $40.

I replaced mine myself. I could be wrong with your situation but thats an idea and something to look into. Its very common on GM vehicles let alone grand am's.

KhellendrosxS
07-01-2009, 01:55 PM
i was told you can cut the wire with no problem but i didn't wanna do that so i replaced it silonoid.

You can go to a repair shop and have them run a diagnoses test on it to see if its bad. They tested all my electrical stuff and it cost me about $40.

I replaced mine myself. I could be wrong with your situation but thats an idea and something to look into. Its very common on GM vehicles let alone grand am's.

Thats not the solenoid. Thats the ignition switch. The solenoid is mounted on the starter motor which is mounted below the flywheel under the hood.

As far as I was aware the security problems were only associated with the 99+ cars. I could be wrong on that but if that is the problem and you want the quick fix you have to make sure the car is running when you cut the yellow wire or else it will not start.

PhantomLover007
07-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Make sure that you don't have a semi bad ignition fuse. My wife's Satty had that issue where it would start sometimes and then not.