Headlight beams look weird...?? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Headlight beams look weird...??

Jphipps187
07-07-2009, 01:32 PM
The beams comming from my healight bulbs looked really terrible. Its not a smooth beam of light like you would see comming from most cars, it looked really choppy and jagged...so i bought a pair of PIAA extreme whites thinking that would fix it, and it looks the same. I have the black clear corner headlight housings from customgrandam.com, i have herd of people suggesting using the aimers in the stock headlights with aftermarket lights, could that be my problem or are they just in terrible need for some adjusting??? Thoughts, suggestions?

SSRacer
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM
my black/clear corners did the same thing, that's why I got rid of them...

Jphipps187
07-07-2009, 01:45 PM
so...is there no solution to this problem?lol

SSRacer
07-07-2009, 02:11 PM
I think it has to do with the lack of reflective material in the head light that breaks the beam up like that...aka, the black areas

Jphipps187
07-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Any other ideas or suggestions?...didnt get a chance to adjust the lights last night so still dont know if thats the problem.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Get HID's. I sorta had that issue when I had just Silverstars in mine. But HID's rid that look, since they're just so bright altogether. I see great at night now.

Jphipps187
07-08-2009, 09:07 AM
;1083613']Get HID's. I sorta had that issue when I had just Silverstars in mine. But HID's rid that look, since they're just so bright altogether. I see great at night now.

In a few months i will prolly be upgrading but since i just got the PIAAs i would like to fix these for now...HIDs do look really nice though.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
In a few months i will prolly be upgrading but since i just got the PIAAs i would like to fix these for now...HIDs do look really nice though.

Indeed. If all the projectors for GA's weren't so god awful looking, I would have gotten them too. But hidny.com sells a great kit. They have the 9007 plug and play kit for $85 with shipping. I've had mine for about six months now, and no issues.

IanGT99
07-08-2009, 10:31 AM
The lack of reflective material in the black housings and the low power given to the bulbs through the stock electrical system is the culprit. I have the stock headlights and I removed the diffusers (thing that goes around the bulb). I have a set of aftermarket 8000k bulbs, but the light at night isn't brilliant. It throws a fairly wide beam, but it's not bright by any means. You can get the best bulbs in the world, and it still won't make much of a difference. You need housings that throw off a more concentrated beam (aka - projectors), and a boosted electrical current going to the bulbs (aka - HID system).

Mike Jung
07-08-2009, 10:43 AM
The lack of reflective material in the black housings and the low power given to the bulbs through the stock electrical system is the culprit. I have the stock headlights and I removed the diffusers (thing that goes around the bulb). I have a set of aftermarket 8000k bulbs, but the light at night isn't brilliant. It throws a fairly wide beam, but it's not bright by any means. You can get the best bulbs in the world, and it still won't make much of a difference. You need housings that throw off a more concentrated beam (aka - projectors), and a boosted electrical current going to the bulbs (aka - HID system).
Let's clear up a few things...

55W is not low power given to the light bulbs.
A HID system uses less power, ie: 35W system.

You cannot just boast current (Amperage), but you can boost the voltage.
Electricity cannot just be created from nothing.

8000K colour of light is not helping you see.
It has a blue filter on the bulb; all lighting going through filters loses some output.
ie: a full CTB (converts 3200K to 5500K) lighting gel loses 75% of it's light output.

For light output, you measure it's illumination, in Lumens.

PS: But yeah...Reflector designs & projectile lenses make a big difference.

Jphipps187
07-08-2009, 10:53 AM
so would replacing my aimers in the headlights with my stock ones help my situation at all? If not im probably looking to upgrade to HIDs.

IanGT99
07-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Let's clear up a few things...

55W is not low power given to the light bulbs.
A HID system uses less power, ie: 35W system.

You cannot just boast current (Amperage), but you can boost the voltage.
Electricity cannot just be created from nothing.

8000K colour of light is not helping you see.
It has a blue filter on the bulb; all lighting going through filters loses some output.
ie: a full CTB (converts 3200K to 5500K) lighting gel loses 75% of it's light output.

For light output, you measure it's illumination, in Lumens.

PS: But yeah...Reflector designs & projectile lenses make a big difference.

I see your point, but an HID system is much more efficient. It's kind of like the difference between incandescent bulbs and LED bulbs. The LED uses a lot less energy, but gives off much more light. I know the difference between halogens and HID's is not quite that drastic, but it's the same principle. The 55 watt rating on a headlight bulb is kinda like the wattage on stereo systems. If it says it can do 400 watts, it's not ALWAYS getting 400 watts. The bulb is just capable of doing that. I've never had a meter on the headlight socket or anything, but you can't tell me the stock lights are anywhere near bright enough for really good light coverage at night.
I've had my bulbs for almost 4 years now. They're just some cheap Ebay ones I got as a quick replacement. I can't complain about their longevity, but I'm definitely going with something in the 5-6k range for some better light output. I don't want to put a bunch of money into projectors and HID's. The 8k blue looks nice, but doesn't exactly achieve a sufficient level of lighting for my tastes.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-09-2009, 10:34 AM
so would replacing my aimers in the headlights with my stock ones help my situation at all? If not im probably looking to upgrade to HIDs.

Not at all. Just get some 6000K HID's, and you'll be set.

Evil Djtorello
07-09-2009, 10:55 AM
;1083883']Not at all. Just get some 6000K HID's, and you'll be set.

Not really cope. U can see well, but everyone around you cant. If you are driving towards me, its like looking into a sun, I cant see poop. If your behind me, all my mirrors blind me.

That is unsafe.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-09-2009, 10:58 AM
Not really cope. U can see well, but everyone around you cant. If you are driving towards me, its like looking into a sun, I cant see poop. If your behind me, all my mirrors blind me.

That is unsafe.

Sorry Dave. :hay:

PhantomLover007
07-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm dealing w/ the issues of my black and clears too. The SS Ultras seem to not be as bright as they should be. I have to adjust them a bit too since mine are a bit off after getting my front end fixed from the hit and run.

Did you do a proper headlight adjustment?

I'm starting to look at projectors a bit more now.

RPO3
07-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Anyone have any pics of the issue, im curious on how they look.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm dealing w/ the issues of my black and clears too. The SS Ultras seem to not be as bright as they should be. I have to adjust them a bit too since mine are a bit off after getting my front end fixed from the hit and run.

Did you do a proper headlight adjustment?

I'm starting to look at projectors a bit more now.

You got the nicest headlights made for the 5th gen. Get HID's, and it'll improve your low light output problem.