"Old" Newb checking in. [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : "Old" Newb checking in.

55 Stude
07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Just bought a fairly clean '96 GT Coupe for a work car a couple days ago and I'm really enjoying it so far. Since I'm a bona fide old fart I probably won't post much unless I have a question I can't resolve through the search function. Most of my time, money and knuckle meat goes to my '55 Studebaker coupe but if the GT treats me nice who knows it may get some love too but for now a little detailing and a better stereo will be about it. I'll try not to be a PIA when I do post.

LeapingLizzy
07-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey nice to meet you!
A Studebaker! That's hardcore, right on! Post some pics for sure!

55 Stude
07-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Well, if you insist.............. but remember YOU ASKED! ;)

http://hotrodders.com/journal_photos/00010391/12393212940.jpg

It's no show piece but it's VERY solid, it sat in a machine shed for the better part of 25 years until the owner died. The guy I got it from had it 12 years and only put about 2,000 miles on it but spent a ton of money on it before selling it to me. The engine is a 289 4 bbl. out of a '56 Studebaker Sky Hawk and has never been apart that I can tell. Leaks like the Exxon Valdez but runs like a top. The trans is a 3 Spd. overdrive on the column with 4.27 gears but I'm swapping those next week for a 3.73 posi along with rebuilding the rear suspension and replacing the clutch. The GA will blow it's doors off and gets MUCH better mileage but somehow just doesn't seem to draw as much attention. Go figure.........

Later on I have a vintage Edmunds twin 2 bbl. intake to put on it. It's not fast but it's a blast to drive. It sounds great too, if I do say so myself. :)

PhantomLover007
07-09-2009, 07:02 PM
*welcome* to our focked up family.

The Stude looks in pretty good shape.

55 Stude
07-09-2009, 07:34 PM
*welcome* to our focked up family.

The Stude looks in pretty good shape.

Thanks, I'll try not get too carried away talking about it here though since this is a Grand Am forum after all. :)