Replacing wheel stud without air tools... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Replacing wheel stud without air tools...

2003SCT
07-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I replaced a couple of wheel studs today after swapping to some new lug nuts which had 'caused a problem'. We ended up having to use air tools as these new wheel studs did not want to come through the hole in the hub at all. My question here is: how many of you have replaced wheel studs on your GA WITHOUT air tools? Post up if you actually have since I am interested to see if people have and if you have any tips and tricks. This question is out of pure curiosity.

CHRIS

rocketfast123
07-12-2009, 07:54 PM
What i used was:

Impact socket
big ratchet,
strut bar used as a cheater bar.

juanvan
07-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Hard as hell - With out an air tool - and if you don't have one you need a press.
I have done 1 stud with a press, but then I could not get the rest of them in that way b/c the way the press was made.

I would take it somewhere to have them put them in, if you can't use your air gun.

2003SCT
07-13-2009, 11:06 AM
No, I ended up having to get them in with an impact wrench so I am all set with the project. I was just amazed at the amount of people that seemed to be able to do them "by hand" or without air tools. And I was just kinda wanting to do a roll call to see how many people had actually done them without an impact...out of pure curiosity.

CHRIS

juanvan
07-13-2009, 11:23 AM
lol well the 1 stud I did was fun by its self
But I don't think I will be doing it again that way

SikMindz
07-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Oh geez...I replaced more than a few with just a good sized mallet and brute strength (not mine obviously...lol). What a PITA.

After a couple years with the old GA they were breaking off like crazy whenever wheels came on or off. Ridiculously cheap.

PhantomLover007
07-13-2009, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=SikMindz;1084561]Oh geez...I replaced more than a few with just a good sized mallet and brute strength (not mine obviously...lol). What a PITA.

QUOTE]

That's what happens because of teh ayds... lol

rocketfast123
07-14-2009, 12:20 AM
After a couple years with the old GA they were breaking off like crazy whenever wheels came on or off. Ridiculously cheap.

I been lucky so far, take the nuts off with an impact gun, and put em on by hand. Don't know if that will make em last longer. Just know they hate me at my local wal-mart. I make the techs :lol: "if you call em that" put my wheels back on by hand. And i'm the d1ck stands their and watches them the whole time.

xxbackhillxx
07-14-2009, 06:02 AM
What Sik said. A mallet and some elbow grease. Air tools are for wimps. I started using giant C-clamps to get them in straight though. It seemed to work well but took a lot of effort.

jrmedia
06-21-2010, 01:30 PM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83451
my how to of replacing wheel studs with out air tools

Malaclypse
06-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I been lucky so far, take the nuts off with an impact gun, and put em on by hand. Don't know if that will make em last longer. Just know they hate me at my local wal-mart. I make the techs :lol: "if you call em that" put my wheels back on by hand. And i'm the d1ck stands their and watches them the whole time.

Heh... Yeah... if you did that to me I'd just walk off until you left.

rocketfast123
06-22-2010, 11:50 PM
Heh... Yeah... if you did that to me I'd just walk off until you left.

They were some dumb asses. When i had hub caps they tired to put em back on with the impact gun. As long as my car was in the bay i know other cars are not being worked on.