New Owner to a 2003 [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : New Owner to a 2003

nolimit
07-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Afternoon all, i recently purchased a 03 GAGT with only 45,000 miles,(thats the reason i bought it low miles)

i was driving an 89 ford probe Gt with the 2.2 mazda motor,had it for 13 years, it curently has 247, thousand miles, and still runs like a champ, im a firm believer in Maintence maintence, im no ceritified mechanic but not afraid to tackle certian jobs,i've done quite a few things, cv axles,ball joints,timing chains,pumps ect,ect

im not sure if i posted this in the correct area,

i've come to learn as much as i can about these cars and what to look out for from the ones who have already has experienced issues with them,like every other car, im sure there notorious for certain things. so any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated,

lol, i do want to note, i know 1 thing and its the intake manifold gaskets

Jake
07-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Wheel bearings
As you stated, the lower intake manifold gaskets.
Weird tranny surges.
Window regulators (Neither have crapped out on my car yet, knock on wood)

Those seem to be the most common problems, also, welcome :)

[ChaosweaveR]
07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Welcome to the focked up family. But there is one more issue, watch out for a glogged cat. Mine went @ 82K. I've seen many 02's, 03's and 04's have them go. But other than that, the LA1 is a great and reliable motor, and is a good platform for forced induction if you want to go that route.

nolimit
07-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Thank You, glad to be a part of the family,and hopefully as time goes on i'll be able to help and assist, again im not dumb founded on the mechanic side but no expert either lol,i BABY my cars and just trying to learn what i can from this breed, so if not a problem im going to have some questions until i gather a lil info under my belt

lol,hub bearings huh had the same problem with the probe but a lil different design, those had the race with bearings and was kinda a bear,being a backyard mechanic with no press made it a lil difficult,had to beat the race out with a BIG socket and hammer,sure we all been there before, not no problem,

as far as the 3400 goes. it is a good reliable motor?think i will be able to get 200,000 out of it, i mean i litterly drive the wheels of them,keep them and keep on fixin

GrandAmMe
07-12-2009, 04:40 PM
"03 P.O.S" you already think your car is a POS? damn.

nolimit
07-12-2009, 04:48 PM
LMAO, no just one of my sayings ...

nolimit
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
so other than the little bumps an bruises, the 3.4 is a good reliable motor, it will be properly maintained, ..... think i'll be able to get two hundred thousand out of it

[ChaosweaveR]
07-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Any motor with proper maintenance will last.

nolimit
07-13-2009, 06:37 PM
been browsing around for some time for different opinions, and read somewhere that when they get up there in mile age to watch out rocker arms or something coming lose or stripping out the head,

nolimit
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
oh yeah, the main BIG question i have is, is there anything i can do or additive i can add to help prevent it from soundling like a sewing machine at start ups, i mean i only have 47,thousand, is that going get better or worse. ....lol

rocketfast123
07-13-2009, 06:48 PM
That's normal for the car. If it get's worse you have problems.

nolimit
07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
WOW, seems like its starving for oil and seems dangerous

DrFabulous
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Wheel bearings
As you stated, the lower intake manifold gaskets.
Weird tranny surges.
Window regulators (Neither have crapped out on my car yet, knock on wood)

Those seem to be the most common problems, also, welcome :)

+ brake rotors

You're lucky on the windows, I've replaced more than I can count

PhantomLover007
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
*welcome*

Jake
07-13-2009, 09:15 PM
+ brake rotors

You're lucky on the windows, I've replaced more than I can count

I also haven't touched the rotors since I have owned it lol, over 2 years. The little piece on the regulator that breaks, cracked on my passenger side, so I got some super strong adhesive **** and covered the little piece in it, did the same to the other regulator. Both have worked fine.

lone_wolf025
07-13-2009, 09:41 PM
WOW, seems like its starving for oil and seems dangerous

A good oil filter will help prevent the ticking at startup if that's what you're referring to. AC Delco's are good filters to stick with or some of the higher end wix filters too.

nolimit
07-14-2009, 06:15 PM
awsome, thanks, im a big believer in sticking with the parts that are manufactered for it example "ac delco" i'll switch back to it cause im about do for one, is it 3 or 5 thousand miles for these cars, and tranny fluid at 50 thousand??

DrFabulous
07-14-2009, 06:27 PM
I also haven't touched the rotors since I have owned it lol, over 2 years. The little piece on the regulator that breaks, cracked on my passenger side, so I got some super strong adhesive **** and covered the little piece in it, did the same to the other regulator. Both have worked fine.

lol

also, +1 to blower motor resistor.

nolimit
07-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Good Evening all, instead of starting new threads over im going to keep all Questions in one if you don't mind, i was just out detailing the inside of my beauty when i so happen to notice that the very corner dash towards the driver side windsheild is / has slightly raised, and what i mean is you can VERLY see foam from out side the glass looking in, my heart sorta ached and paniced because the only thing i could think was "its going to get worse". mine is an 03 amd my moms owns an 02 so i drove over to her house to check hers out and its kinda the same, so is it one of those Notorious things or???, is there ANY thing i can do to prevent this from getting worse or what .... ???? sorry to drag it out and THANKS !!!

lone_wolf025
07-24-2009, 01:39 AM
Its hard to say without seeing it. Might be normal, might not be. If you can snap a pic and post it up.

ChrisDawe
07-24-2009, 03:47 AM
Hey and Welcome!

Bought my 2000 at 230K on it and the only issue I have had is it's Throttle sensor...like a $75 fix so no big issues as of yet. *Fingers Crossed*

nolimit
07-24-2009, 02:12 PM
thanks, i will take pictures later on tonight and post'em up.... i was at my moms work today and a couple 02 03 gt's pulled in and there were all the same ?????? you can see that they verly started to lift and see the dash foam.... i was checking one guys car out and he was "what are you doing" i told him that i also owned an 03 and noticed last night that my dash started to raise and showed him and he was lie "oh s**t".. so anyhow it almost seems like a common problem,is any of yours like that ????

nolimit
07-24-2009, 02:24 PM
i went ahead and took pictures of the car, i tried to upload but apparently the file size it to big,its jpeg, how can i resize them?

PhantomLover007
07-25-2009, 01:10 AM
Just join PhototBucket or a similar photo sharing site, copy the link for the pics, and post to here using the http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/images/editor/createlink.gif.

nolimit
07-30-2009, 04:19 PM
afternoon gentlemen, well oil light came on so, i went to get stuff for the oil change,i got the ac delco filter to try help eliminate calm the sewing machine in the morning..lol,also going to use 2 quarts of 5w and 2 quarts of 10w,im still learning these machines with your guys help, i use castrol, what do you guys use

anthother question, im about due for some new pads, was thinking to go for the wagner ceramics,any thoughts ?? is all ceramics the same,because found a company on ebay for front and rears like $60 or $70 bucks

thanks

nolimit
08-01-2009, 02:26 PM
any suggestions comments on my previous post ??