LIM, continues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : LIM, continues

-trigger-
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
bad news, I did the lim gasket change, it fixed the moderate exterior coolant leak that progressed to a heavy leak on the driver's side of the engine. but now after driving it a few days I notice a very small leak on the passenger's side and I am at a loss about what to do. From what I can tell it is not leaking in the oil.

Should I: do nothing and hope for the best
tighten the bolts near it or apply some rtv
or something else

I don't think tightening or rtv will help but just throwing that out there, I do not want to do the change again, should I just wait and see what happens?

Grandamgtblk99
07-13-2009, 01:21 PM
Where exactly on that side is it leaking? From where the head meets the block? Or is it from the valley that you used RTV on since there is no gasket for the valley?

-trigger-
07-13-2009, 02:06 PM
looks like from the valley closer to the front of the car. I cleaned the coolant off with brake cleaner then drove for an hour. looked at it and there was maybe a drop that leaked out, but then seemed to increase after the car sat awhile

Grandamgtblk99
07-13-2009, 02:19 PM
I think you either didn't put enough rtv on or didn't clean the valleys good enough for the rtv to hold. I did the same thing one time I did my LIM. I drove all winter with it leaking. It didn't affect anything, but it does make a mess where the oil runs down the block.

-trigger-
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
it looks like coolant tho, not oil which makes me think that it isn't coming from the valley

Grandamgtblk99
07-13-2009, 02:39 PM
sounds like you may have to tear it all apart again and redo it. You could try getting a wrench in there and tightening the outer bolts down more. But I dunno if itll help.

-trigger-
07-13-2009, 02:47 PM
yeah thats what I thought. I am not doing this again right now, just gonna hope it doesn't get worse. I will only be driving it for a few more months anyway, then I'll have a truck and use that for the winter. Attempt #2 next year

Grandamgtblk99
07-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Alright I would just keep an eye on your coolant level and pull your dipstick often to check the color of the oil. I would suggest doing an oil change in a week or two to check the oil color just to make sure it isnt mixing. Last thing you want to do is overheat your motor and warp your heads. Thatd just be that much more money youd have to pay.

350rs
07-13-2009, 04:31 PM
IF i were you.. i would try to just tighten the outer bolts first. Did you recheck the torque on those bolts? They might have simply loosened up a bit from heating and cooling.

-trigger-
07-15-2009, 12:14 PM
alright to my relief, you were right grandamgtblk99. it is definetly oil not coolant. it was hard to tell since the spot was only damp, but now a small pool collected so I wrapped a paper towel around a screwdriver to get some of it out and it was oil. I suppose it is the valley that is the problem. gonna take out the power steering and the other stuff sometime so I can put some more rtv on. whew!