strut brand [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : strut brand

350rs
07-14-2009, 03:51 PM
struts are shot.. of course..

SO, they are getting replaced once i have the extra money. I looked on summit and found some KYB somethin or another. G2 i think. For like 60 a pop. I stopped in at the dealer and priced the delco's at 108 a piece. Are the delco's worth the extra money? or should i just go with the KYB? I probably wont have this car more than a few more years. With any luck no more than a few more months.. But i cant stand it anymore. Also, might as well replace the mounts right? I find the fronts but havent noticed the rears.. are they something that gets replaced in the rear? Also.. since this is a coil over type setup, do they have spring isolators/dampners? You know, that go on top of the spring?

I know people who own a shop down the road who can move the springs from one strut to another, and who will just replace my struts for 40 bucks a axel ( 80 bucks total..) So ill probably have them do it.. lol One can only take so much forced work with a car before grenades sound like a good alternative.

AaronGTR
07-14-2009, 05:40 PM
The KYB GR2's are as good or better than factory struts, so they will be fine. That's what I'm running on my car right now. Rear upper strut mounts probably don't need to be replaced if you aren't noticing any thunking noises when the back end goes over a bump. They don't take as much of a beating as the fronts since they don't have to turn when you steer. All the struts have rubber isolators for the spring perches, but they only need to be replaced if they are wearing out. Sometimes after a lot of miles they get thin where the spring sits and when they are worn through the spring might squeak. Might want to replace them if you've never replaced the struts and they have alot of miles on them, or you can wait and check them first.

350rs
07-14-2009, 06:13 PM
alright i get the isolators while im at the dealer then. 106k and all factory suspension from the looks of things. Ill order the KYB's this weekend. thanks

RPO3
07-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Good deal i need this too, Thanks Aaron