2003 Grand AM GT cyl. 3 misfire and heavy fuel smell [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Grand AM GT cyl. 3 misfire and heavy fuel smell

ssdragon
07-15-2009, 06:37 PM
Problem is on a 2003 Grand AM GT and the car has all new plugs and wires. A few days ago the low oil light came on. Car needed 2 more quarts to get back to normal. Nothing had recently been done to the car. Oil change was 2 months ago. Didnt notice any oil on the ground but it was sitting on grass. Its parked on cement now and I will check tonight to see if any is on the ground. battery is unhooked now to reset pcm just in case.
Got the CEL checked at autozone and it came up with cyl. 3 misfire. Car has hardly any power now and there is a heavy fuel smell from the exhaust.
I put in some fuel injector cleaner to see if that would help and now I get a rotten egg type of smell on and off today.
Car has 95k on original engine and tranny. Any ideas as to what this may be?

Also, there has been an intermittant squealing sound that happens but only goes away if i hit the brakes. Doesnt seem like a brake issue to me though.

cheeze
07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
bad coil pack

ssdragon
07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Is there an easy way to test if its a bad coil pack? Could the fuel injector be bad on cylinder #3? Does anyone know exactly which plug is cyl. 3?

lone_wolf025
07-15-2009, 07:17 PM
The wires are marked with numbers as are the coil packs. Follow the number off the coil to the cylinder which will be on the side nearest the passenger compartment. Should be middle one. Go to autozone and buy or rent a spark tester and check spark for number 3. I hesitate to blame the coil pack because if it was bad you'd have misfires on two cylinders not just one.

Also if you're loosing so much oil that you're getting low oil and you don't see it leaking underneath the car then that means its leaking inside which is bad. At that point it could be anything including a lower intake manifold gasket leak.

ssdragon
07-15-2009, 08:42 PM
Is a lower intake manifold leak an easy fix? Would this leak cause the car to shudder from a stop when accelerating and cause a misfire in a cylinder? Would it make the car extremely slow?

JoshuaaaGT
07-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Is a lower intake manifold leak an easy fix?

;crap

DarkKnightZX
07-16-2009, 04:39 AM
From what I have heard unless you have done it a few times then NO. And can be abit costly if you dont know of a good shop!

K WeRd
07-16-2009, 06:09 AM
i did mine the first time i had to and it was very easy...just take your time. you have to have some know how of hand tools i guess.

BOOTMASTER
07-16-2009, 08:28 AM
i would say lim gasket, possibly head gasket.... 50/50 on difficulty to do lim, depends on your experience working on cars....

and that could account for your #3 misfire and oil loss....

could also be that you have a loose #3 injector and an oil leak somewhere that needs fixed, but i would lean towards the LIM idea...

do a compression check and see what you come up with, it will also tell you if its a head gasket. i changed my LIM once, still got a misfire, and a couple of days later figured out that i had a bad head gasket, sucked cause i had to do the LIM again during the head gasket change...

[ChaosweaveR]
07-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I would pull out plug #3 and see what the plug itself looks like. If the LIM gasket is failing, check to see what the coolant looks like. If it's chunky and dark looking, then it's a possibility. The LA1 is more notorious for LIM leaks than head gaskets, so I wouldn't worry about the heads leaking so much. All you got from the SES codes was a misfire?

ssdragon
07-16-2009, 01:42 PM
Yeah ses code was only for a misfire on cyl 3. I did the oil test on the manifold to see if it was contaminated and it did not bubble. Coolant color looks normal. I did see oil leaking onto the belts because they were soaked so the oil is coming out somewhere around the bottom of the engine and getting onto the belts. Resetting the pcm did nothing at all as suspected.

AaronGTR
07-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Yeah ses code was only for a misfire on cyl 3. I did the oil test on the manifold to see if it was contaminated and it did not bubble. Coolant color looks normal. I did see oil leaking onto the belts because they were soaked so the oil is coming out somewhere around the bottom of the engine and getting onto the belts. Resetting the pcm did nothing at all as suspected.

Yeah, the only thing that resets in the pcm is the fuel trims, so I doubt it would help.

The misfire could be from a defective plug or plug wire. Have to make sure you have the plug wires going to t he right cylinders too and they are on all the way. I know, it sounds stupid but I've seen it happen before so thought I'd mention it. Other than that, the misfire could also be from a faulty injector. The oil leak... it's impossible to say without seeing the car. It could be the LIM gasket. Could be the front crank seal or cam cover and the front engine cover, or the oil pan. You're just gonna have to take some things off t he engine and do some digging to find where the leak is. Good luck!

aiixon
07-17-2009, 01:41 AM
Ya I'm in the same boat you are, but my cylinder 1 is misfiring.

sdk_89
07-17-2009, 06:45 AM
sounds like a coil pack

ssdragon
07-17-2009, 06:54 PM
Well so far it was the oil pressure regulator leaking oil onto the belts, also the 1 year old spark plugs were all fouled so those all were changed and car runs good again. SES light is still on though so i hope it turns itself off. Now power steering is seeming to have some kind of issue, its harder than usual to turn the wheel.

AaronGTR
07-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Where was it leaking oil from, the bottom of the oil pan by the front of the engine? That is the low oil level sensor. The oil pressure regulator is built into the oil pump inside the oil pan, so I doubt that was leaking. ;)