PF47 oil filter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : PF47 oil filter

skifreak122
07-17-2009, 07:17 AM
I have used the pf47 oil filter ever since purchasing the car. When I went to change my oil last night I noticed that there was quite a difference between my new and old filter. The new filter is slightly shorter (maybe 1/2 inch) and has completely redesigned looking internals.

Is there anyone that uses the pf47 who has also noticed this or knows why they decided to make changes to the filter after such a long time?

....(hopefully it's for better filtration design and not for cost savings ;crap)

skifreak122
07-17-2009, 07:27 AM
bah...just found some info. Here it is incase anyone else is curious.

Filter Design Change - PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 (WD Bulletin 09D-054)

ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco Oil Filters due to capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original ACDelco media that traps particles up to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully covered baseplate, non metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.

At this time, the Durapack versions of the alternative design filter will begin shipping. The boxed or individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where possible, and will otherwise begin to rollover to the new alternative design.

ACDelco appreciates your business and stands behind each and every filter that we distribute with pride and confidence. Should you have any concerns or questions at all, please feel free to contact your local
ACDelco sales representative.

350rs
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
so no need to buy the bigger filter now? We can go back to the 47?

XtremeGaGt00
07-17-2009, 04:47 PM
its always been a pf47 filter...

350rs
07-17-2009, 06:49 PM
right, but from what im gathering.. Delco has made some changes to it. They are bigger and have a different set of guts?

plastic_indian
07-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Delco has switched manufacturers before. You have probably ended up with an 'E core' filter built by Champion Labs. Pleasure reading:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

westerndragon
07-18-2009, 11:46 AM
yeah they just made it easier to take a part after you toss it basically