How do I replace the trans mounts (front and back)? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : How do I replace the trans mounts (front and back)?

lone_wolf025
07-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I've got a little problem. I've got a couple bad tranny mounts and I'd like to fix them myself but I'm having trouble.

For the front mount I got the bolts out and moved the bracket away enough to get at the mount. How do I remove it from the housing though? I tried pushing on it but its not budging.

As for the rear mount, the downpipe of the headers (S&S headers not stock) prevents me from getting a ratchet and socket in there and my wrench isn't long enough to give me the leverage I need to break the bolt loose.

Anyone have some advice?

GrandAmGTTT
07-18-2009, 05:17 PM
I've got a little problem. I've got a couple bad tranny mounts and I'd like to fix them myself but I'm having trouble.

For the front mount I got the bolts out and moved the bracket away enough to get at the mount. How do I remove it from the housing though? I tried pushing on it but its not budging.

As for the rear mount, the downpipe of the headers (S&S headers not stock) prevents me from getting a ratchet and socket in there and my wrench isn't long enough to give me the leverage I need to break the bolt loose.

Anyone have some advice?

lol your gonna have to take the braket and a new bushing to replace it to a shop and have them do it. I have to do the same thing to mine

lone_wolf025
07-18-2009, 05:44 PM
lol your gonna have to take the braket and a new bushing to replace it to a shop and have them do it. I have to do the same thing to mine

Fun. I had a sinking feeling about that...I hate to say it but I might have to break down and pay a shop to do it. I'll try that front mount again some other time, but that rear mount ain't happening.

AaronGTR
07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
The rear mount can be done, but it's a tight fit. I think someone said once you have to take out the bottom bracket first (that goes over the power steering) and then you can take out the top part with the rubber bushing in it. I have TOG's so I'm sure it would be tough on my car too, but I wouldn't know for sure. When I filled my side and rear tranny mounts I had the trans and the whole sub-frame out of the car. lol And I already had the RSM front tranny mount so...

lone_wolf025
07-18-2009, 09:25 PM
The rear mount can be done, but it's a tight fit. I think someone said once you have to take out the bottom bracket first (that goes over the power steering) and then you can take out the top part with the rubber bushing in it. I have TOG's so I'm sure it would be tough on my car too, but I wouldn't know for sure. When I filled my side and rear tranny mounts I had the trans and the whole sub-frame out of the car. lol And I already had the RSM front tranny mount so...

Heh. Well we'll see how it goes. I arguably need at least the rear and side tranny mounts replaced so maybe I'll see what the easiest way to do it is. You know its time to replace the mounts when you hear a loud clunk when you manually downshift and hear a nice clunk...

Maybe I'll pay Mark (MP Racing) a visit and borrow his hoist lol. He'd probably cringe at the thought!