good brake rotors? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : good brake rotors?

DucksInARow
07-19-2009, 06:38 PM
Can anyone recommend some good brake rotors?
The stock ones warp so fast. I've tried Power Slot. I went through their recommended break in procedure, and they warped almost as fast as the stock ones did. Are there any out there that might last a little longer without warping?
I've used stock AC Delco pads.

lone_wolf025
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
If you're warping rotors make sure the calipers are in working order and aren't sticking. If they are and you STILL have issues with heat warp try different pads. Semi-mets are good for stopping but are harsh on the rotors too.

skifreak122
07-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Also check to see that your hub/rotor and rotor/wheel surfaces are debris free. Maybe something is causing an uneven mounting.

You shouldn't be having warp issues with power slot ;crap

lone_wolf025
07-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Also check to see that your hub/rotor and rotor/wheel surfaces are debris free. Maybe something is causing an uneven mounting.

You shouldn't be having warp issues with power slot ;crap

D'oh! I should've remembered that one. Although if that was the case he'd probably see pedal pulsation even after the new brake job. Still, its a good idea to double check that just to rule it out.

[ChaosweaveR]
07-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Baer Decela rotors FTW. As the others stated, check the hub and such. I've never had an issue with the Baer's warping. I've had the fronts on for over a year now, and on my second set of ceramics, and now with the Decela's in the rear with ceramic pads as well.

dcuballa
07-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Got a set of Brembo Blanks....very nice rotors....they actually came with the hats powder coated!

SSRacer
07-20-2009, 06:39 AM
The only time I have ever had a rotor warp on the GA was when I had one turned and was auto crossing with it. I have never had a new rotor of any brand warp on me.

IanGT99
07-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Swap in a set of stock rotors from a '96 Cavalier. 9.8 inches of shear stopping power!!! lol

Go to a good brake shop that you trust and have everything checked. If you're warping Powerslots, there's a problem in the system itself. Once the problem is found and corrected, get another set of Powerslots and a decent semi-ceramic or full ceramic pads. The EBC greenstuff pads seem to be the most popular, but there are other ones out there that are cheaper and work great. I went back to stock rotors and a semi-cer pad after having R1Concepts slotted rotors. I got it all from Napa and did all four corners of the car (rotors and pads) for under $350 installed. The R1's were good rotors for heat dissipation and lasted about 3 years, but they ate through pads.

AaronGTR
07-21-2009, 05:15 PM
^I agree. Powerslots are very good rotors and they have directional cooling vanes unlike stock rotors so they should actually stay cooler. I've never had a set go bad on me. If you warped a set of those, either there is something wrong with your brake system, you didn't actually break them in properly like you thought, or you are way too hard on your brakes. In that case you either need to ease up on the gas and start braking earlier or get a big brake upgrade. ;)