99 GAGT Transmission Issue [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 99 GAGT Transmission Issue

99GT
07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Okay, this is my first post on this site, I looked and looked and didn't find anything, so no one jump me about making a new thread.

My 99 GAGT started to have transmission problems around 90K miles. When it was cold, it ran great, when the transmission got up around 180-200 degrees, it had trouble getting into 1st and 2nd gear, then it would hit 3rd a little hard, and then it rode fine until I took it out of gear(say i put it in neutral, reverse, or park). This problem continued and I just dealt with it for about 4 months, and then a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't go into gear at all, then I got mad and floored it, then it slammed into gear(I know that was stupid:banghead). Then last week the transmission started slamming into gear over and over and over and over and over again until I got it to where I was going and then I turned it off, I turned it and then ONLY reverse worked. I even floored it to see if it would move and it didn't budge AT ALL. I didn't know how to check fluid without emptying it out so I added a full gallon of fluid AND transmedic.
Well, my only option was to reverse the whole way home with a friend in front of me, we jacked it up and the transmission worked a little when it didn't have to pull the weight of the car, but it still hessitated when it hit first.

We dropped it and I'm taking the opportunity to mod and paint stuff.

Can anyone possibly help me out with this? I can't figure out what it is and all I could think is a total rebuild.
But if i do rebuild, should I buy a new converter too?

Any help at all will be well appriciated.
Thanks,
Gavin

GrandAmGTTT
07-20-2009, 07:03 PM
dang sounds like you very well may need a new tranny :( And if you lived close enough to me ( which you don't ) i woulda sold you my extra tranny cheap

99GT
07-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Would you happen to know where I could get a good/better than factory rebuild kit or just any link?

Jhashwa
07-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Strange, usually when the tranny is acting up flooring it repeatably fixes it. . . .:asshat

AaronGTR
07-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Well, it sounds like there where a few things inside the trans that were going and you probably needed a rebuild. After beating the piss out of your transmission, now you definitely need a rebuild. It would probably be cheaper to see if you can find a low miles trans in the junkyard from a later model grand am. The 03-04 models had some improved internal parts and are slightly more durable than a '99 trans. A rebuild can be done, but will probably be more expensive. I wouldn't bother with it unless you can't find a decent used trans to swap in. It will be even more expensive if you want to do a rebuild with aftermarket parts for more power handling capacity. Again, not necessary unless you plan on making a lot more power with your car.

99GT
07-20-2009, 11:18 PM
That's what some people are saying, my only problem is, I see that between work and sleep, this took 3 days for me to take it out. I'm looking to not have to do this again for a VERY long time.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good rebuild kit? I'm not sure what is good for these trannies, I'm used to dealing with RWD cars.

AaronGTR
07-21-2009, 06:06 PM
That's what some people are saying, my only problem is, I see that between work and sleep, this took 3 days for me to take it out. I'm looking to not have to do this again for a VERY long time.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a good rebuild kit? I'm not sure what is good for these trannies, I'm used to dealing with RWD cars.

There is no "kit" to speak of. There are parts available, but it's up to you (or your transmission mechanic) to get them all together. Check the performance FAQ in the "all go" section. It has all the information on building up the 4T45E. Expect to pay well over $1000 just in parts though for a well built one.

99GT
07-22-2009, 03:19 PM
Okay. I found an 02 in the junkyard. Would that be alright? I can't tell the mileage though.

First off, are there any, big or small, problems related to 02 trannies?

Second, should I tear it down to see it's condition in comparison to mine?

sbart385
07-22-2009, 07:38 PM
As long as its from an 02 GT you should be fine.... but make sure its from a GT or the final drive ratio will be off

AaronGTR
07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
An '02 will work yes. They made more changes in the '03-'04 model year so those would be better... but the difference shouldn't be significant. As long as you get the right one from a GT you should be fine. It will drop right in. As far as tearing it down... I wouldn't bother if the miles are low. It will be tough to tell what the condition is compared to yours unless something is broken or you are trained what to look for. If you are wanting to upgrade it though, well you'd be tearing it apart anyway.

99GT
07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
So. Finally, two weeks later and my car is running again, not to mention, better than when I bought it.
I also did a few minor appearance mods while it was up.

Painted calipers red and black.
G6 center wheel caps.
and a G6 Front Pontiac emblem.