Styrofoam block in door's purpose? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam block in door's purpose?

lone_wolf025
07-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I had an annoying rattle inside my door so I popped off the panel and found a styrofoam "brick" sitting in the bottom on the inside of the door. I have no idea what it's purpose is and I'm curious if anyone knows what it is supposed to be for. I can snap a pic if anyone needs me to just lazy right now.

Oh and correct me if I'm wrong, but does a window that does not always go down all the way sound like a bad regulator unit (not the motor but the guides)? Mine goes all the way most of the time but there are days where the last 3 inches of glass won't go down any further.

sbart385
07-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I think the purpose might have been just to get you to come on here and ask what it was for lol

Honestly tho I have no clue

lone_wolf025
07-24-2009, 08:00 PM
lol I'm wondering if its some kind of sound deadening or brace or something I'm pretty clueless.

But yea imagine a brick and make it out of styrofoam and that's what I got. Judging from the chunks on one edge that are missing and the drip of adhesive on the side, I'd say it probably was stuck to the inside of the door by that thin edge with some black adhesive and it fell off cuz the foam got weak.

ridefas78
07-24-2009, 09:52 PM
basically for the sound it helps brace it i guess...just what i thought it did haha

i_ammetal
07-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Insulation would be my guess. Foam is a decent, lightweight sound deterrent.

lone_wolf025
07-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Insulation would be my guess. Foam is a decent, lightweight sound deterrent.

Yea it's probably for something along those lines...

Grandamgtblk99
07-24-2009, 11:58 PM
I think it helps support the door panel against the door. But I yanked the foam off my doors forever ago. If it really bothers you, you could just get some adhesive and glue it back on.

I would think if your window doesnt go all the way down its probably the guides. If ones broke then the glass might go down wrong and put pressure against something to stop it. If you have the door panel off just hook up your window switch with it off and lower the window till you can see the white guides.

lone_wolf025
07-25-2009, 12:13 AM
I think it helps support the door panel against the door. But I yanked the foam off my doors forever ago. If it really bothers you, you could just get some adhesive and glue it back on.

I would think if your window doesnt go all the way down its probably the guides. If ones broke then the glass might go down wrong and put pressure against something to stop it. If you have the door panel off just hook up your window switch with it off and lower the window till you can see the white guides.

I don't think the foam is related to the panel because it was a solid brick some 7"x2"x2" on the inside of the door hollow space.

I'll double check the guides.

PhantomLover007
07-25-2009, 12:40 AM
It's a safety device in case you drive into a lake Jon... lol

SSRacer
07-25-2009, 07:42 AM
In case of a water landing your door can be used as a flotation device lol

AaronGTR
07-25-2009, 08:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it's just a sound and vibration dampener. There where foam blocks inside the body behind the side panels in my back seat too, and glued to the back side of my door panels.

lone_wolf025
07-25-2009, 11:11 AM
It's a safety device in case you drive into a lake Jon... lol

In case of a water landing your door can be used as a flotation device lol

Sweet! That's just what I always wanted! lol

I'm pretty sure it's just a sound and vibration dampener. There where foam blocks inside the body behind the side panels in my back seat too, and glued to the back side of my door panels.

Ah. Well if that's all it is I'll leave it out for now and see if I get any annoying new rattles. Considering its been sitting in the bottom of the door for a while and I haven't heard anything new and annoying, I don't think anything will change. But hey less weight on the car! lol

PhantomLover007
07-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Sweet! That's just what I always wanted! lol

Problem will be that you'll have to somehow rip the door panel off to get to it before you drown....lol

Don't make me angry.... lol

lone_wolf025
07-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Problem will be that you'll have to somehow rip the door panel off to get to it before you drown....lol

Don't make me angry.... lol

Meh. Details details.