Tranny Fluid - How much? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Fluid - How much?

99GT
07-26-2009, 05:44 AM
How much fluid should go into a completely empty transmission? The 4T45e, I mean.

And I read that there is a plug(bolt) to check the level, and if it is above that bolt then there was too much in it, can anyone post a pic of the bolt? I don't know what it looks like and I would like to have my car running today.

K WeRd
07-26-2009, 05:53 AM
i believe you have to take off the passenger front wheel and the splash guard to access the plug. dont have a picture but im sure you'll figure it out.

AaronGTR
07-26-2009, 09:18 AM
For bottom pan removal and filter replacement, it takes 6.9 quarts. For a complete overhaul it's 9.5 quarts. Filling it up completely dry takes 12.9 quarts.

You don't have to take the wheel off to get to the plug, but you do have to have the car level. You can drive the car up on ramps on both ends, or put both ends on jack stands. If you don't have enough of those I suppose you could try removing the front passenger wheel and leaving the jack under the front but letting it back down until it's approximately level. FYI the transmission needs to be up to temperature before you do this, so you'll need to fill the trans first, drive it a bit (or let it idle until warm then move the shifter through all gears), then adjust the level. You have to leave the engine running while you check the level as well.

It doesn't say in the manual or have any pics of where the plug is. It's kinda hard to miss though. It's a little bolt that's off by itself not holding anything up on the side of the transmission case close to where the passenger side axle comes out. There isn't really anything else around it, and if you've got it full enough and remove the bolt you should get fresh red trans fluid coming out when you take it out. Let the fluid run until it's level with the bottom of that hole and you're good! :thumbs:

realestdriver
08-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Couldn't find it, so I searched it.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k65/mtpockets06/074T45MN5LoR.jpg