Catalytic Converter [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converter

ioseida
07-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Hello Everyone so this is probably and easy question to answer. I have been looking to replace the Catalytic on my 2001 Pontiac GT1, but the thing is that online most of the site that sell one dont ship to California because the part is for eastern only.I dnt want to pay the dealership 869 buck for a new direct fit. The only site i found was the magnaflow site that will ship to cali. does anyone knw of any other site that has california approved catalytics? and are magnaflow exhaust good products??...

http://www.magnaflowsuperstore.com/49-State-Approved-Catalytic-Converter-PRD13.aspx

[ChaosweaveR]
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
If you want no issues with the SES light, and listen to me carefully now...

BUY THE OEM DIRECT FIT CAT.

Unless you like having the SES light on because you want to be a cheapass and have inspections give you a headache every year.

AaronGTR
07-27-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm not sure if that magnaflow is a high flow unit or stock style unit either. I know the reason both it and the OEM direct fit are so expensive is because they are an entire down pipe, not just the catalytic converter. The stock cat is welded onto the stock down pipe so there is no way to replace one without replacing the other, unless you cut the cat off and have a new one welded on. If you get a large enough cat that will get hot quickly and stay hot enough to work efficiently, you should not have any problems with SES lights. You will have to keep the rear O2 sensor though for california inspections. I don't know if an aftermarket replacement cat will pass inspection there though or if it HAS to be an oem unit on the down pipe. You'll have to check with the DMV, but that would be the cheapest way to go. The easiest way to know for sure that you won't have any problems though is to pony up the cash for a new OEM downpipe and converter as stated above. Don't you just love living in cali? :)

lone_wolf025
07-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I'm not sure if that magnaflow is a high flow unit or stock style unit either. I know the reason both it and the OEM direct fit are so expensive is because they are an entire down pipe, not just the catalytic converter. The stock cat is welded onto the stock down pipe so there is no way to replace one without replacing the other, unless you cut the cat off and have a new one welded on. If you get a large enough cat that will get hot quickly and stay hot enough to work efficiently, you should not have any problems with SES lights. You will have to keep the rear O2 sensor though for california inspections. I don't know if an aftermarket replacement cat will pass inspection there though or if it HAS to be an oem unit on the down pipe. You'll have to check with the DMV, but that would be the cheapest way to go. The easiest way to know for sure that you won't have any problems though is to pony up the cash for a new OEM downpipe and converter as stated above. Don't you just love living in cali? :)

The worst part is that with the latest emission laws they want to use cali as an example for the rest of the states. Next cali will start checking for CO2 emissions if they're not already...

tiresmokindad
10-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Sorry for my ignorance, I really need help. I was confused if the magnaflow catalytic converter is pretty good?and also where to buy? I do some searched, inguiry and I come up with this Magnaflow Catalytic Converter (http://magnaflowcatalyticconverter.allexhaust.com/product.php?productid=62294?odj). Anyone tried it here.? Any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

350rs
10-18-2009, 08:46 AM
ill be honest. i got a new direct fit cat a few months ago for a smidge over 280 bucks. thick metal, everything bolted up with ZERO problems. Cars been running great and even has a bit of a deeper tone. Its just the one provided by NAPA. Might check them out. i dont know if its high flow or not though.

However to question at hand, i know magnaflow makes a pretty good product. Not the best in the whole world though, but pretty good. Without a doubt, you BEST BET would be to get the OE cat. Lasts forever. Unless your engine is running terrrrible

lvemy3100
10-18-2009, 10:30 AM
here is a link to a magnaflow direct fit cat for $152.99 http://mpracing.org/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=487

AaronGTR
10-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I've used magnaflow high flow cats on two of my cars. Never had a problem with them and they work great. They aren't legal in California, but as long as you don't have any inspections or emissions testing in your state that specifically forbids replacing the cat with a non-oem part, then you should be fine.

jbracefan1977
02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Hello Everyone so this is probably and easy question to answer. I have been looking to replace the Catalytic on my 2001 Pontiac GT1, but the thing is that online most of the site that sell one dont ship to California because the part is for eastern only.I dnt want to pay the dealership 869 buck for a new direct fit. The only site i found was the magnaflow catalytic converter (http://www.allexhaust.com/magnaflowcatalyticconverter) site that will ship to cali. does anyone knw of any other site that has california approved catalytics? and are magnaflow exhaust good products??...

I know this si old but Im in cali and having the same problem, what did you end up getting, this is driving me mad and I dont have 900 to blow

AaronGTR
02-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Try www.gmpartsdirect.com. You can get a new OEM direct fit cat and downpipe for $400.

HaVoK~DOGZ~
02-19-2010, 10:16 PM
where in cali you at???

masterjohnson
03-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Try gmpartsdirect.com. You can get a new OEM direct fit cat and downpipe for $400.

i second that. it is a good site i got my california catalytic converter (http://www.racepages.com/auto/exhaust_emissions/california_catalytic_converter.html) on that site.if you really want a good cat go for OEM. worth bang for the buck. magnaflow is good too but i haven't tried it yet since i am still canvasing for much cheaper exhaust but good quality. ooppps sorry for digging this up. by the way my name is johnson.