Left Turn Hyperblink [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Left Turn Hyperblink

FuriousG
07-30-2009, 01:58 PM
When I use my left turn signal it goes into hyperblink mode as if there is a bulb burned out. The right turn signals work fine and so do the hazards. I've checked all the bulbs both front and rear (even swapped all the driver/passenger bulbs to verify) and they are all working normally. I took the turn signal switch out of the steering column and made sure there were no corroded contacts inside. Next, I pulled the hazard switch out of the dash and checked that as well. Everything looks good and but I'm still getting a fast blinking left turn signal. I looked in the fuse panels both inside the passenger cabin and under the hood for a relay but I didn't find anything significant.

What do I need to check next and has anyone experienced this before? I have e-Bay projector lights installed but they have worked fine for the last 4 months and the hyperblink problem only started less than a week ago. Where can I find the relay that controls the speed that the blinkers blink? Is there anyplace I can test the voltage or resistance? I have a multimeter but without knowing what I'm looking for, it's not much use. Any help would be appreciated. I can still drive it safely but it's a little annoying knowing something isn't working the way it should...

burgett2103
07-30-2009, 02:23 PM
no idea... but it was just my left and now it's my right too.. mine will go normal.. then go fast. or they will be normal.. or they will just be fast all the time

AleroB888
07-30-2009, 10:25 PM
I have had this happen, and in my case the cause seemed so bizzare that I have held off posting anything about it.

When I started doing fuel mods last year and was working bugs out of the system, at one point I did not have a fuel connector fully secured to the filter fitting. I took the car around the block, and the blinkers went into that fast blink mode. I did not associate the two at the time, and took the thing up to WOT and the connector blew off. It crossed my mind that possibly there was some kind of early warning built into the PCM, but I don't know how it would sense that problem.

Since I was using a Walbro pump, there was no check valve in the system, so it took awhile for the engine to start running smoothly. At times I would get the fast blinking until the idle evened out. When my first Walbro started to fail, I got the fast blinking at random times.

I now have an add-on check valve installed, and have not had the problem.

I know this all sounds too weird, but there it is. :)

So, it might also be possible that some electrical problem not directly related to the lights is causing it.

FuriousG
07-31-2009, 12:59 AM
The only thing I've done to the car at the time this started was changing the brakes and rotors.

Right now I'm leaning towards replacing the hazard switch since I'm fairly certain that's where the actual blinker circuit is at. Can anyone confirm this for me before I throw another $50 towards the Autozone website?

cmtapanes
07-31-2009, 06:48 AM
I have the same problem on the rear left turn signal with an after market tail lights and the problem on my case is that the small wire on the bulb don't do a good contact with the bulb harness so what I do is to push the bulb wire out more so it does more pressure inside the bulb harness for better contact. Hope that helps.

juanvan
07-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Relays - swap them around see if the condition changes.
Did you get the service recall done for the Hazard relay?

FuriousG
07-31-2009, 07:29 AM
The service recall was for the 2000 not the 2003. Either way, I'm in Germany and the Opel dealership is the only ones who will acknowledge GM cars but they are a pain to deal with. With GM's current bankruptcy issues I'm not even certain if Opel would assist me.

If it's a simple matter of checking the relays then I just need to know where they are. I'm thinking they are part of the hazard switch assembly but there's nothing to swap internally with that. That's why I'm leaning towards replacing the hazard switch altogether. Just hoping someone can give me a little more insight before I wait 2-3 weeks on Autozone to ship me a new one.

juanvan
07-31-2009, 07:44 AM
I can get you one from the junk yard here and ship it to you quicker and cheaper.
let me know I am making a trip this weekend I will pick up 2 for ya in case 1 does not work.

That does suck, I had a hard time with GM when I had this recall done. They said the dealer I purchased it off of did the recall. I told GM the dealer also told me the air filter was new but I have a picture of the sales man's face when I tossed it on his desk.
(I wish I still had that pic, it was priceless)

Also they also said they did the LIM but I have a bill to show that they didn't do that either.

They put the work order in.

FuriousG
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
No offense but I'd rather get a new one that hasn't already started corroding. I saw a GA at the junkyard on base here a couple months ago that might have a used one. I may pick that up just to try it out to see if the problem clears before I bother buying parts online. I've only seen about 5 other GA's at our base so I doubt anyone has pulled any parts off of it yet.

juanvan
07-31-2009, 01:39 PM
Not a problem - I would rather new - but when used will usually work just as well why not - But most used are not going to be the new one after the recall.

Haughee
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
My left signals went crazy. No bulbs out, no fuses blown.

The problem on mine was the grounding for the entire front headlight. IF you look down near the airbox there is a 8-1 connector for a ground wire. Mine cororred all out and made my grounds screw up. Its worth a look.

FuriousG
08-01-2009, 12:58 AM
I'll take a look at that today. Thanks for the advice.

FuriousG
08-01-2009, 05:49 AM
Much to my joy and shame, the problem is solved now. I tried playing with that grounding connection near the air box and the bolt sheared right off so I thought I must be on the right track. I tried using some wire to ground everything out and try to isolate which pin on the connector was for the left headlight. I never did manage that. I gave up and decided to simply try re-grounding the connection and seeing if the problem went away. It did not but I also wasn't happy with how loose the ground was since I didn't have any self taping screws on hand. I'll come back to deal with that later...

Giving up on the grounding point for now, I went to the tail light on that side and checked the bulbs again. They worked fine still but with the panel pulled out I noticed that one of the two turn signal bulbs would intermittently work while the blinkers were on. Pulled the bulb to find quite a bit of corrosion in the contacts. So then I ripped the entire backing off the board and looked at the actual metal runs that connected everything. Large amounts of corrosion but fortunately, it only seems to be on the surface. I used some rust removal liquid and scrubbed the runs until they were shiny again and then puled each bulb out of both tails and cleaned them off as well as the sockets. Put it all back together and it worked but only if the grounding lug up front was sitting just right...

I pulled the upper wheel well off and thank God, there was a hole on the other side just big enough for me to fit a wrench in there to slap a nut on the other end of my new grounding bolt. Tightened that all down really well and now everything is working as it should.

The moral...if you get the hyperblink, chances are pretty good that it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing and you should always thoroughly check your bulbs first. Just looking to see if they light up may not be enough. I guess every time I looked I was either seeing the 2nd bulb's light or it may have just worked during those times. Either way, I feel a bit stupid for going through all the trouble with the grounding lug when the actual problem was in the rear of the car the whole time.