HELP! 2000 Grand Am problem [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : HELP! 2000 Grand Am problem

themadtongue
08-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Grand Am 2.4 with high miles (175,000).

The only thing I've had an issue with in the last couple of years is about 6 months ago my Service Engine light came on. They read it and said it was the #2 Oxygen Sensor. About 2 days later the light went off.

About a month later the light came on again. Read it again and it was the same. It was on for a week.

Last month it came on again for a few days.

So yesterday I'm driving on the highway at about 65 for 25 miles. I take an exit, turn onto another highway, and my "Trac Off" light comes on. A few seconds later my Service Engine light came on and I lost most of the power trying to accelerate. The rpms went high and the transmission would hesitate to shift. I pulled over. I noticed the Service Engine light would stay solid for about 20 seconds or so, and then blink about 20 times.

There was a slight burning smell but I honestly don't know if that was coming from outside or not. It smelled like it outside the car too. I opened the hood and saw nothing of concern. I checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low, which is unusual.

After that it would start but it would die in reverse or drive, but if I put it into a low gear (first or second) I could SLOWLY drive it about a 1/4 mile to my friend's house.

When I start the car it idles fine for the most part in terms of the sound under the hood, it's just slightly rougher then before. However, the sound coming from the muffler is HORRIBLE. It's a loud, crappy sounding glug-glug noise.

A tow back to my house or even to my city would cost $200 which I can't afford, and there's no one near my friend's house that can hook up and scan the Service Engine light. I'm really kinda screwed unless I can figure it out where it's at now.

Would an Oxygen Sensor going out cause big problems like this? I remember once I disconnected the Intake Air Temperature Sensor and it caused all kinds of craziness that seemed to be unrelated, like the transmission wouldn't shift and it lacked power. Could this be similar?

PLEASE help guys....

Grandamgtblk99
08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
I bet your o2 was throwing a code because your catalytic converter is clogged, and you let it go for so long that its way too clogged to let the exhaust threw and it is choking your engine.

themadtongue
08-03-2009, 09:19 AM
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Someone at work just suggested something very similar. I'll check it out tomorrow when I get off of work and let you know. Thanks for the quick response!

Mike Jung
08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Hey guys, I have a 2000 Grand Am 2.4 with high miles (175,000).

The only thing I've had an issue with in the last couple of years is about 6 months ago my Service Engine light came on. They read it and said it was the #2 Oxygen Sensor. About 2 days later the light went off.

About a month later the light came on again. Read it again and it was the same. It was on for a week.

Last month it came on again for a few days.

So yesterday I'm driving on the highway at about 65 for 25 miles. I take an exit, turn onto another highway, and my "Trac Off" light comes on. A few seconds later my Service Engine light came on and I lost most of the power trying to accelerate. The rpms went high and the transmission would hesitate to shift. I pulled over. I noticed the Service Engine light would stay solid for about 20 seconds or so, and then blink about 20 times.

There was a slight burning smell but I honestly don't know if that was coming from outside or not. It smelled like it outside the car too. I opened the hood and saw nothing of concern. I checked the oil and it was 2 quarts low, which is unusual.

After that it would start but it would die in reverse or drive, but if I put it into a low gear (first or second) I could SLOWLY drive it about a 1/4 mile to my friend's house.

When I start the car it idles fine for the most part in terms of the sound under the hood, it's just slightly rougher then before. However, the sound coming from the muffler is HORRIBLE. It's a loud, crappy sounding glug-glug noise.

A tow back to my house or even to my city would cost $200 which I can't afford, and there's no one near my friend's house that can hook up and scan the Service Engine light. I'm really kinda screwed unless I can figure it out where it's at now.

Would an Oxygen Sensor going out cause big problems like this? I remember once I disconnected the Intake Air Temperature Sensor and it caused all kinds of craziness that seemed to be unrelated, like the transmission wouldn't shift and it lacked power. Could this be similar?

PLEASE help guys....
You are having major mis-fires !!!
Which could lead to clogging of the cat, & contaminating of the O2 sensors.

From the GA owner's manual:

S.E.S. light flashing = a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increase vehicle emissions & may damage the emission control system on your vehicle.

If flashing:
-reduce vehicle speed
-avoid hard accelerations
-avoid steep uphill grades
-reduce & carry no extra cargo/weight

If the light continues to flash (when driving):
- STOP the car, when safe to do so
- turn car off, wait 10 seconds & restart engine (& prey that the light stops flashing)
- If it doesn't, drive it to the dealer or garage (while following the above notes - if flashing)

Mis-fire = BAD!

Maybe needs:
new spark plugs & wires,
ignition coils,
fuel injector flush/cleaning via fuel system rail (it might be clogged)
BAD batch of gasoline
clogged catalytic converter

Flashing SERVICE ENGINE SOON light means severe mis-firing currently happening.

Flashing S.E.S. light also means DON'T run car! Possible engine or converter damange could result.

themadtongue
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. The more I look into this the more I hear that it's most likely a clogged catalytic converter.

If I change that out should I change out the #2 (downstream) sensor that was throwing the code? Or could it be fine and have been throwing a code because of the bad catalytic converter?

GrandAmGTTT
08-03-2009, 11:44 AM
yup the blinking i think means misfires and your is probably being choked to death :(

themadtongue
08-03-2009, 03:16 PM
So the catalytic converter is being replaced tomorrow. Do I need to have them change out the downstream (or both) oxygen sensors?

Mike Jung
08-03-2009, 05:17 PM
You still have to find out why you were having the misfires ?

The misfires could be why the cat got clogged; if it wasn't due to just it's age/mileage.

GrandAmMe
08-04-2009, 05:38 PM
I actually know someone who had the 3400 in their Chevy Venture and it actually ripped each manifold off the block due to a clogged catalytic converter.

bill Dot
09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
I have a 2000 grand am SE 2.4L. It has a very rough idle. i have already had the plugs replaced along with the ignition adapter and the plug boots. i pulled out the IAC and it was BLACK. carbed up completly. i cleaned it up and thought about the EGR valve being carbed up. so i removed the air intake from the throttle body to get to the EGR valve. but when i got to where the EGR should be there was nothing there. i did some more research and whatever the EGR valve mounts to is missing as well. all that was there was a gunked up area and a hole into the motor. see image below. the picture was taken after i cleaned the surface. Can anyone tell me what part im missing that the EGR was attached to and could this have caused damage to my engine? What do i do now?
Please help and thanks in advance

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=30834&stc=1&d=1348445767

unchained_01
09-23-2012, 07:30 PM
That is the egr port and you have a massive vaccum leak You need to make a plate to cover the hole Looks like you need you engine cleaned also or have gasket leaking

O1GAGT
09-23-2012, 08:42 PM
The 2000 + 2.4L engine did not have an EGR valve, therefore it would have been a block off plate that covers that hole that looks like you must have removed.

sleepyalero
09-24-2012, 10:51 AM
god is that motor dirty.... lol

bill Dot
09-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Ya the motor is real dirty. This is my girlfriends car. She bought it new in 2000. It has sat a while. As for the build up on the motor in this pic I can't figure out where it has come from. Maybe someone spilled some fluids while trying to get it in the engine. This car has been the best as far as needing repairs up until now. I need to figure out why it has the idle issue. It idles below 1000 rpms and the motor is shaking. The exhaust pipe almost sounds like its burping. Not a popping sound like a backfire. I'll cover up the port hole to see if that does anything but I don't know how long it's been open. With the amount of build up that was on it I would say it has been a while.