Car cranks, but nothing electrical happens... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car cranks, but nothing electrical happens...

Dirtball
08-04-2009, 06:16 PM
As the title says, I crank the car, but the dash, A/C, windows, radio, etc. all stay dead. This is intermittent, and sometimes when you crank it it stays dead for just a few seconds and sometimes for as much as 30 seconds. Then, presto, it all starts working. It might go days without doing it or it may do it 5 cranks in a row.

Ideas, please??

Malaclypse
08-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Possibly an ignition switch.

Dirtball
08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
That was my first thought because of the way it happens... but wasn't sure if the power for the electrical flowed through it (I know it does on my old 79 Cherokee but not on modern cars).

Thanks for replying...

PhantomLover007
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Check the fuses. You might have a half broken one. I've been fooled by one before and spent over $200 on parts when it was a $5 fuse... lol .. ;crap

Dirtball
08-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Any suggestions on which ones to start on?

To add something else... this started after I removed the battery to add new tranny fluid before a trip to Tennessee. Thirty minutes after the trip starts the cruise control stops working. Then it starts working again after I turn the car off and then back on. It stops a couple more times then works and has worked since. The strange electrical gremlin started in Gatlinburg on the trip.

I'll check the battery too...

martyf663
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Clean all battery terms and terms on starter (wire brush). Check ignition cables/fuses. JMHO

Dirtball
08-05-2009, 05:27 AM
Your "HO" is greatly appreciated!!

Pauljp
08-06-2009, 08:29 PM
The same thing is happening on my car.
Started last year.
I tested different things for weeks, read schematics and have yet to solve it.
Suddenly it stopped acting up for almost a year.
Then this past month, it started doing it again.
I have a 2003 GA GT.
It only does it when starting. It starts and runs perfectly, except no guage movement at all, no power windows, no power sunroof, no HVAC. Dash lights work as do all other lights.
This will last from 1-30ish seconds. Then all works until you shut the car off. Then it may or may not act up again on the next start up.
I don't think it is power related, I think it is ground related. I too thought it was the ignition switch, but after the car is running I would turn the ignition again several times between ON and START (don't worry, the starter won't engage because your car knows it is already running... try it). But this did not make any difference.
I am trying to compare the power window schematics with the dash schematics or HVAC schematics to see if there is a common denominator. So far, no luck.
If anyone has anything to add to finding a solution to this problem, I would be greatfull for a message on this post. I've noticed that not too many people put down the solution to their problems on these threads.

martyf663
08-06-2009, 10:40 PM
Clean ALL term connections, as above as well as grounds....then...
I would swap PCM's for shiz and giggles and go from there (if you can)....no sense going the wiring check route if it's a common denominator...JMHO with the "HO" applied ;)

Pauljp
08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I don't think it is power related, I think it is ground related.

Ok, I think I was wrong on my last post above.
Now, this problem seems to be power related.
After reading a bunch of schematics, it all pointed to the passenger side fuse block, or at least the wire going to it.
The diagrams show that the HVAC, Sunroof, Cruise system and power window fuses all get there power CONTROLLED from, but not necessarily being, the ignition switch. I put a test light on the sunroof (fuse-I) and left it there until I got the symptoms again, and sure enough, when it acted up the test light remained off, indicating that no power was getting to that fuse while the car was running.
So, the main power CONTROLLED by the ignition switch is intermittent.
Now I need every ones help:
1 - Where is the other end of the "ON POWER" wire that goes to that fuse block?
2 - How do I remove that fuse block to check behind it?
3 - Does the power come directly from the ignition switch, or does it come from a relay perhaps under the hood?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.