Window issues again [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Window issues again

FunkZ
08-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Since replacing my driver's front regulator last month (for the second time) my window has been working just fine every day. It worked fine yesterday morning on the way to work, however when leaving to go home in the afternoon it did not work at all. It did not work last night or this morning either.

Strangely, both front/rear driver's side windows quit working at the same time. However both passenger windows still work fine. Since both went at once, I doubt it is a bad motor. And since the front and rear windows are controlled by separate switches, it would also be weird for both of those to fail at the same time or be affected by a loose wire/connection. I looked in the fuse panel and also under the hood for a fuse or relay for the windows but did not find one labeled as such.

Any hints on this or do I start ripping door panels off?

BOOTMASTER
08-06-2009, 11:32 AM
the driver/passenger sides are controlled by two differnt plugs that go into the switchs iirc... so pop the switch pannel thing and check the connection, it could save ya pulling the pannel.

FunkZ
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I'm pretty sure there's one plug for the front switches and one plug for the rear switches on the driver's door console. But you're right, easy enough to pop the switch plate to check.

rocketfast123
08-06-2009, 11:43 AM
The windows are a complete circuit. If one switch is disconnected none will work. Do what BT said first pop the switches first to make sure all is good. If the motors are getting power and not working they are locked up. I few light hits from a hummer to the motor while holding down should work. My pass door does this, and my cheap fix is hold down while shutting the door.

FunkZ
08-11-2009, 04:39 PM
Okay, here's an update.

I pulled the driver's front panel and confirmed the wiring to the switches, one plug is for the front and one for the rear. Both were plugged in tightly.

I pulled the plug to the motor and tested for voltage. With engine off I get 11.92v to the plug when the switch is activated.

I next pulled the motor to verify the cable was not all bound up around the gear again like what happened when the last regulator failed. The regulator drive looked good so I plugged the motor back in and hit the switch, the gear turns.

So I remounted the motor and hit the switch, the window now goes up/down with ease, smoothly and quickly like there was never a problem. WTF?

Rocket you mentioned the motors getting "locked up" which seems to be what happened. It wouldn't move while loaded by the regulator/window, but once allowed to turn free it has no problem moving the window afterwards. As a test I tried your solution on the driver's rear and sure enough, when I slammed the door closed while holding down the switch it started moving.

So is this a common thing for the motor to "lock up" and does this typically precede a complete failure or just an annoying trait? I've only owned the car a year and a half and this is the first time it has happened.

lone_wolf025
08-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I've never had the motor lockup issue...just broken sash clips.

rocketfast123
08-11-2009, 07:33 PM
So is this a common thing for the motor to "lock up" and does this typically precede a complete failure or just an annoying trait? I've only owned the car a year and a half and this is the first time it has happened.

My car has been doing this for the pass few years. But after I do the bootleg fix, it works just like new. It happens to me if don't use it for awhile. The motors them selfs are very simple and should never go bad. If they slow down, just take em apart and clean everthing with electrical contact cleaner. And add a few drops of 3in1 oil to the motor shaft.

FunkZ
08-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the fix and the tips!