Car won't start [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Car won't start

aiixon
08-08-2009, 04:20 PM
It cranks but won't turn over. All the electrical stuff works, all my lights and everything work. Doesn't work using a battery charger or jump starting either.

Jake
08-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Security light on?

ltpats
08-08-2009, 04:30 PM
It cranks but won't turn over. All the electrical stuff works, all my lights and everything work. Doesn't work using a battery charger or jump starting either.

It cranks but won't turn over??? Cranking is turning over

aiixon
08-08-2009, 04:33 PM
no security light. okay well then by cranking i mean it goes "nehnehnehnehnehneh" from the starter trying to start it.

Jake
08-08-2009, 04:43 PM
no security light. okay well then by cranking i mean it goes "nehnehnehnehnehneh" from the starter trying to start it.

Fuel pump?

Mattyj724
08-08-2009, 09:11 PM
i bet $100 on feul pump. happened to my car as well... one way to check is take off the fuel filter and turn the key to on.. BUT NOT START. when ever you turn the key to on the fuel pump should try to presure the lines so if gas starts squirting out then its not the pump. if nothing happenes then it is... also try to replace the filter regardless if its the pump or filter..

Metclub
08-09-2009, 01:54 AM
I agree with everyone else fuel pump just replaced mine. Its a cake job to do yourself.

aiixon
08-09-2009, 04:24 AM
alright thanks guys. i dont know but this car is killing me lately... transmission, lim gasket, head gasket, belt, water pump, wheel hubs, and now fuel pump... its killing me...

aiixon
08-09-2009, 04:43 AM
is the fuel pump the same for 99 and 2000? im seeing 99 and 00-05 split up. also, can i get a fuel pump repair kit that replaces all the parts?? or do i need a full new fuel pump. search on ebay if u dont get what i mean.

cmtapanes
08-09-2009, 01:49 PM
check the fuse for the PCM... if the fuse is bad there's no power on the PCM and the fuel pump will not turn on. The fuse is on the side panel of the driver side.

aiixon
08-09-2009, 03:05 PM
k ill check it.

aiixon
08-09-2009, 07:24 PM
fuse was good.

2000 GT Coupe
08-10-2009, 12:54 AM
A similar thing happens to my car sometimes, it will crank but not start, I dont think it is getting fuel, pull the key out, couple of seconds later put it in and try it and most of the time it starts right up.
if you do not pull the key though it will not start.
I thought it might have something to do with the passlock but I by passed that and I dont get the security light nor do I need to wait 11 mins.

ltpats
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
fuse was good.

When you put the new pump in just be aware of a few things. 1) The new Delphi brand pumps do not have an external strainer so don't worry when it doesn't look like your old one. 2) on the factory unit the green connector goes to the fuel filter and the blue is the return. On the new Delphi unit its azz backwards, verify before you install the unit into the tank that the line going to the pump (inside the housing) will be the one going to your fuel filter. I know that they are different sizes but when I went to put green back on the filter and it didn't fit I thought maybe someone screwed up when they put it together.

aiixon
08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
quick thing though before i order. will this work?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380147187994&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

and one quick question. i just realized that my receiver doesn't turn on... do you you think it could maybe be the alternator?

Jake
08-10-2009, 09:29 PM
quick thing though before i order. will this work?? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380147187994&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

and one quick question. i just realized that my receiver doesn't turn on... do you you think it could maybe be the alternator?

If the car wont start off a jump, no.

aiixon
08-10-2009, 10:15 PM
k i think its the fuel pump for sure now after reading about it. lately before i stopped driving it because of the tranny and coolant leakage, i had slow performance, over heating, TERRIBLE gas mileage. this explains the rest of my problems.

can someone let me know if the one i picked out on ebay will work for me??

aiixon
08-12-2009, 01:51 AM
up//

ltpats
08-12-2009, 05:04 AM
k i think its the fuel pump for sure now after reading about it. lately before i stopped driving it because of the tranny and coolant leakage, i had slow performance, over heating, TERRIBLE gas mileage. this explains the rest of my problems.

can someone let me know if the one i picked out on ebay will work for me??

Just a quick way to check, push on the schrader valve in the fuel rail see if there is any pressure (gas squirting out) if there is, keep it pressed to relieve all pressure, try and start it and go back and press valve again, if no pressure, you've found your problem.
Did you check the fuel pump relay? Turn ignition on and listen for fuel pump to run which primes the system, if you dont hear it run switch the fuel pump relay with another one in the underhood fuse box (most are the same relay), if it still doesnt run then has to be the fuel pump.

ltpats
08-12-2009, 05:09 AM

The # E3507M is the correct part number for the whole assembly so I suppose it would work BUT your better off replacing the whole modular assembly, I know it's 5 X as much money but it's not something you want to have to do over again anytime soon.

aiixon
08-12-2009, 10:49 PM
would it most likely last though??

martyf663
08-12-2009, 11:07 PM
Pull the feader hose off of the TB. Have a friend try and start the car. While their cranking, shoot a small shot of starter fluid into the the TB. If it goes to start or starts for a short spurt, fuel pump/filter/line/bad gas is the problem....JMHO...GL...