knock when braking [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : knock when braking

srosenau20
08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey everybody,

I have 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT coupe and when I'm braking, I hear a slight knock at lower speeds. It only happens when I brake. There are no noises when I'm turning or hitting the acceleration pedal. This past weekend I went and bought rotors because I'm pretty sure they're about done because I'm receiving some vibration at higher speeds and even more when I brake at higher speeds.

On Friday, I tightened the lugs and it seemed to lessen the knock noise. However, when I left for work this morning, the noise was back. Could the lugs have become loose again?

It sounds like the noise is up by the wheels so I'm not sure if its the lugs, the pads, or the rotors. I just bought new rotors and pads for the front, but they still need to be installed. What do you think the problem could be? Thanks.

Lab Rat
08-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Strut plates will make noise, kind of a knock. Unless something is loose in the braking system I would bet it's the strut top. Another 70 bux per side and an extra hour when you're changing the pads and rotors.