Will this make it louder? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Will this make it louder?

tiM
08-11-2009, 09:27 PM
My Grand Am GT is pretty quiet and I want to make it louder. But, instead of buying a new exhaust and spending that kind of money, I would like to know if this would work out. I asked my dad about it and he said that we could just find a GT muffler from a junkyard or somewhere, cut open the top and gut it. What kind of change would this have on my car's exhaust?

Sparky'sGA01
08-11-2009, 09:52 PM
prolly wouldnt be any different then just cutting off the muffler all together.

Plus you have to weld everything you cut up or else it will leak like a mofo.

if you want it loud i would just ditch the muffler and just run tips out the back or something?

Jake
08-11-2009, 09:54 PM
Cut off the resonator if you want a little difference, you will notice it for sure.

SikMindz
08-11-2009, 10:29 PM
You guys are such newbs. Don't listen to them, tIM. Get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fake-Turbo-Whistler-Whistle-Blow-Off-Valve-BOV-Sound_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ hashZitem33549bcc74QQitemZ220462828660QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2642wt_840

PhantomLover007
08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
You guys are such newbs. Don't listen to them, tIM. Get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fake-Turbo-Whistler-Whistle-Blow-Off-Valve-BOV-Sound_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQ hashZitem33549bcc74QQitemZ220462828660QQptZMotorsQ 5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_2642wt_840

Sounds like Sik servicing NSA... lol lol

lone_wolf025
08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Actually if you wanna skip all that you can do what I did and get a cutout. Install a Y-pipe before the muffler and you have a loud exhaust comparable to most cat-backs. You can either do an electric cutout or skip the motor and just have a plate that you attach with a couple bolts and wing nuts if you REALLY wanna be cheap. I had the motor and it was a fun toy to play with. Mine burned out and I didn't wanna spend $200 to replace it so now I slap on the plate when I HAVE to be quiet...which is next to never.

Here's an old vid of how it looks and sounds. I didn't think to cycle the motor, but suffice it to say when its closed you sound stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lIcOVeDEr8

rocketfast123
08-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Cut the muffler and leave the cat and res.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT7Zicwvvhg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6e9a6Uoibw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmhFbCEvHW0

lone_wolf025
08-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Actually sounds better than my cutout. Better reverberation and rumble.

notsoaveragej0e
08-12-2009, 09:01 AM
Do it right or don't do it at all. Your car will sound like absolute **** if you gut the muffler, and you'll piss off people like me who have to drive next to you jackasses on the road. I realize full exhausts are expensive, but seriously, any real gearhead will make fun of you for doing it the brokeass way.

IanGT99
08-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Joe's dead on, buddy. I did my FULL exhaust for $400 installed. Save your money and save yourself a lot of headaches by just doing the whole exhaust from the cat back. There's always systems for sale on here that guys are looking to get rid of for about $300 or so. The Borla system is the best quality, but not much louder than stock. The SLP system is the loudest and not super expensive, but it's not made anymore. You'd have to find a used one on here. The Dynomax system can be bought on EBay and it's not bad either.

If you just want a little louder sound right now while you're saving for a full system, cut out the resonator and weld in a straight piece of tubing. You'll notice a bit of a difference in the sound, but it won't be nearly as refined as it would be to put on a full system.

I have to recommend doing a cold air or warm air intake with the exhaust. The stock box is unbelievably restrictive. Putting on an intake and exhaust will boost your power and make the car run and sound MUCH better. Those two are the least expensive options that provide the best benefits for the GA.

lone_wolf025
08-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Pacesetter sounds alright and is pretty cheap to boot.

notsoaveragej0e
08-12-2009, 11:40 AM
agree with Ian, a CAI will make the engine sound much more aggressive.

rocketfast123
08-12-2009, 12:02 PM
Being that he is 17 $400 might be hard to come by heck $100 might even be.

westerndragon
08-13-2009, 08:59 AM
CAI & cutout are a bit cheaper then a full exaust IF you can cut & weld it yourself

lone_wolf025
08-13-2009, 11:42 AM
CAI & cutout are a bit cheaper then a full exaust IF you can cut & weld it yourself

Yep. And nothing wrong with a cutout either...I'm running numbers that are pretty similar to anyone with a catback system and same mods.

westerndragon
08-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I love cut outs its the best of both worlds

I have a cut out ready to go in but im waiting to pair it up with s&s headers.

mmmm whats that I smell......burning r!ce

lone_wolf025
08-13-2009, 02:54 PM
I love cut outs its the best of both worlds

I have a cut out ready to go in but im waiting to pair it up with s&s headers.

mmmm whats that I smell......burning r!ce

lol Maybe if it was some other kind of car you could say that, but we're pretty slow even compared to some **** burners. Anyways, I would suggest taking the thing off in the winter. I kept mine on and I think the cold and salt is what caused the motor to go...twice.

i_ammetal
08-14-2009, 01:40 AM
Pacesetter sounds alright and is pretty cheap to boot.

Ehhhhh.... just save your money or keep your eyes open for a SLP system.
Pacesetter is alright but I'm not happy with it because its just not loud enough for me. Flowmaster systems seem to get the best feedback.

westerndragon
08-14-2009, 09:13 AM
lol Maybe if it was some other kind of car you could say that, but we're pretty slow even compared to some **** burners. Anyways, I would suggest taking the thing off in the winter. I kept mine on and I think the cold and salt is what caused the motor to go...twice.

I have a cap for the cut out for winter and I wont be running it in the snow.

Yeah we are a bit slower compared to some other cars but ive suprised a few. most of these r!ce heads get so excited about racing they slip up shifting lol.

i_ammetal
08-15-2009, 10:40 PM
Yeah we are a bit slower compared to some other cars but ive suprised a few. most of these r!ce heads get so excited about racing they slip up shifting lol.

Realistically there's no point in wasting your time racing someone with a V8, turbocharged or supercharged engine unless your boosting.... but I've never lost to any ricer locally around here. Mostly modded cobalts, civics and neons.....

Id say 80% of the time they miss the first two gears and get a really bad start.... like spinning wheels and not hooking up fast enough.

GA2000GTSpeed
08-16-2009, 12:42 PM
i went the expensive route with the borla cat back, (which i bought used i the for sell section), and then i got the s&s headers. which i love how my car sounds right now its just loud enough and has a really good sound to it.

GA2000GTSpeed
08-16-2009, 12:46 PM
heres my car with S&S headers and borla, the SC is on here but you get the idea of what she sounds like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkI-Hb3DVcY

IanGT99
08-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Being that he is 17 $400 might be hard to come by heck $100 might even be.

Dude, I'm 26 and $400 is STILL hard to come by. lol

Bills add up, school loans stay around forever, cars break, rent/mortgage payments make life miserable, and utilities are expensive no matter how much you try to conserve. Doesn't leave much money for "fun" stuff. With my wife still in school and me probably going back for a Civil Engineering degree in about two years... oh, and the talk of having children... makes it tough.

I can respect wanting to do the work yourself and save some cash, but I'd rather wait a bit longer, save up, and do it right.