air conditioning/heating issues [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : air conditioning/heating issues

jrallen13
08-14-2009, 08:20 AM
I have done a ton of searching and hopefully I didnt just miss something. The issue I am having is the Air conditioning will fade in and out, ok no big deal just needs to be recharged. 3 cans later it is back in full charged area on my guages but it is still fading in and out. Well here is the catch 22 I switched it over to heat and it does the same thing. It will blow hot for a minute and then it's like it fades out and just brings in ambient air. So it is doing the same thing on both the cool and the heat side. If I play with the temp switch just a little bit I can get it to go back to normal but only for a few seconds. Not sure where to go at this point any suggestions?

ltpats
08-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I have done a ton of searching and hopefully I didnt just miss something. The issue I am having is the Air conditioning will fade in and out, ok no big deal just needs to be recharged. 3 cans later it is back in full charged area on my guages but it is still fading in and out. Well here is the catch 22 I switched it over to heat and it does the same thing. It will blow hot for a minute and then it's like it fades out and just brings in ambient air. So it is doing the same thing on both the cool and the heat side. If I play with the temp switch just a little bit I can get it to go back to normal but only for a few seconds. Not sure where to go at this point any suggestions?

Blend door issue, possible vacuum problem.

jrallen13
08-18-2009, 02:17 PM
I have never heard of a blend door, where would I find this rascal. If it was a vacuume problem I would not be able to switch from the defrost to the floor or whatever, correct?

ltpats
08-19-2009, 07:42 AM
I have never heard of a blend door, where would I find this rascal. If it was a vacuume problem I would not be able to switch from the defrost to the floor or whatever, correct?

Blend door is up under the dash, part of the heater box, it's a vacuum controlled door that directs cold air / hot air depending on temp setting. If a servo is leaking you will still have partial control, they can act goofy sometimes.

jrallen13
08-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Awesome thanks for the tips I will tear into it tonight. Thanks again!