Humming noise [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Humming noise

WhiteyGAGT
08-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Hey everyone. I did my research on and off the site for this problem but it seems like there a million different things that people say can cause this. I read a thread with a similar sounding case but it eventually went dead without a solution.

My noise is a humming, resonant noise starting at about 25-30 mph that increases in volume slightly but has a definite increase in pitch the faster I go. I believe it to be speed/tire based as it does not seem to be affected by RPM increase or decrease. I also dont notice it to change while Im turning left or right as some people have described it to disappear when turning a certain direction.
Ive had my rims and tires for over a year now so I doubt its something to do with that although Im open to any suggestion because Im not 100% car savy.
It also doesnt have a grinding sound to it as some people have reported; it just sounds almost like I have 2 engines that produce 2 different sounds and pitches. Other than that, I dont know how to describe it better until someone suggests I listen for certain patterns to narrow it down. This was not a gradual notice. I drove one day with no noise, and the next day I started up my car and drove and I noticed it.
If you have an idea of what it can be and what I need to have replaced, if possible, could you list a basic price for the repair?
Much appreaciation.

hahano404
08-22-2009, 08:22 AM
do you have any after market stereo possibly?
usually if signal wires are too close to power wire OR if your gain is set to high youll have engine noise through the speakers. listen closely to your speakers while reving a lil.

BMOBYLE
08-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Hey everyone. I did my research on and off the site for this problem but it seems like there a million different things that people say can cause this. I read a thread with a similar sounding case but it eventually went dead without a solution.

My noise is a humming, resonant noise starting at about 25-30 mph that increases in volume slightly but has a definite increase in pitch the faster I go. I believe it to be speed/tire based as it does not seem to be affected by RPM increase or decrease. I also dont notice it to change while Im turning left or right as some people have described it to disappear when turning a certain direction.
Ive had my rims and tires for over a year now so I doubt its something to do with that although Im open to any suggestion because Im not 100% car savy.
It also doesnt have a grinding sound to it as some people have reported; it just sounds almost like I have 2 engines that produce 2 different sounds and pitches. Other than that, I dont know how to describe it better until someone suggests I listen for certain patterns to narrow it down. This was not a gradual notice. I drove one day with no noise, and the next day I started up my car and drove and I noticed it.
If you have an idea of what it can be and what I need to have replaced, if possible, could you list a basic price for the repair?
Much appreaciation.

sounds to me like a wheel bearing is going bad. is the noise out side the car?
definatley not motor related? only reason i ask is cause from what your describing it really sounds like a bad wheel bearing or a feathered tire but those noises USUALLY don't go away one day and return the next. once there always there till fixed. Can take the car out with someone in the back seat to see if they can locate it better than u can cause obviously u'd be driving.

hahano404
08-23-2009, 10:07 PM
im dumb. sped read that. please excuse me

WhiteyGAGT
08-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Well, I had all my breaks replaced but the rear passenger because when I got my 18s put on at Plaza Tire, they stripped one of the lugs or something so I gotta take it to them tomorrow and have them fix their mistake. They guy who replaced my breaks is a family friend and works at Auto Zone and he also suspected a bearing in the front left. Ill have to get that fixed when I get more money. I dont know when that will be so it could be a little.

WhiteyGAGT
09-08-2009, 02:56 AM
Close to dead thread revival but anyway; I got the whole Plaza Tire mistake thing taken care of. I am convinced it is the bearing and now that Ive gained 1200 more dollars, I have a couple more question.
1) I NOW notice that it gets quieter if I turn to the left so which one is bad?
2) Do I need a whole new ASSEMBLY or just the bearing?
3) Ive heard many different price ranges from under $100 to just under $200. What should I expect?

WhiteyGAGT
09-26-2009, 01:01 PM
*bump* Anyone have any other advice please???

skifreak122
09-26-2009, 01:11 PM
Close to dead thread revival but anyway; I got the whole Plaza Tire mistake thing taken care of. I am convinced it is the bearing and now that Ive gained 1200 more dollars, I have a couple more question.
1) I NOW notice that it gets quieter if I turn to the left so which one is bad?
2) Do I need a whole new ASSEMBLY or just the bearing?
3) Ive heard many different price ranges from under $100 to just under $200. What should I expect?

1) I would assume that it is your drivers side bearing. Does it get louder if you turn to the right?

2) The hub assembly is what it's called. Hub, wheel bearing, wheel speed sensor all in one unit.

3) Expect around $100 at a large chain auto parts store.

SSRacer
09-26-2009, 01:59 PM
maybe your car doesn't know the words..

skifreak122
09-26-2009, 03:52 PM
maybe your car doesn't know the words..

:applause:

PhantomLover007
09-26-2009, 09:40 PM
lol

WhiteyGAGT
09-27-2009, 12:47 AM
Hehe..... yeah. Im not that knowledgeable when it comes to the mechanics of cars and I really need to be since Id rather learn how to do most repairs myself.
To skifreak, I dont notice it getting louder when I turn right so much as I notice it gets quieter to the left; but really, the only turns I can make above 30mph (when the noise starts at) would be passing someone or a quick steer to the sides on the interstate.
Well, unless someone else comes in and says anything else, Ill consider this thread to be resolved. Thanks for the helpful input everyone.

skifreak122
09-27-2009, 07:36 AM
I'm a bit curious why are you now convinced that it is the wheel bearing? There's really no point in changing $1xx parts only to find out that they aren't the solution.

Are you positive that 1 of your tires isn't causing the noise?

You can go to a larger parking lot when nobody is around and drive in slower speed circles to help listen for a noise. Also, feel the center of the wheels after a drive. Does one feel much warmer than the other? Jack up the front and spin the wheels at different speeds. Do you hear/feel anything?

I'm not saying that one of the bearings isn't bad. Simply trying to help you diagnose the problem better so that you don't end up wasting time/money on something that isn't an issue.

WhiteyGAGT
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I understand what your saying. I pretty much have only been told its the assembly and that coming from a family friend who works at Auto Zone, his input seems to stick. Im not saying it cant be anything else, but thats what everyone is telling me.

You can go to a larger parking lot when nobody is around and drive in slower speed circles to help listen for a noise. Also, feel the center of the wheels after a drive. Does one feel much warmer than the other? Jack up the front and spin the wheels at different speeds. Do you hear/feel anything?

Are those things to indicate the bearing or something else?

2000 GT Coupe
09-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I am not saying it is any of the following problems, but possibility's there.
CV joint, tie rod end, strut, or strut mount, power steering pump, or rack, others I have not mentioned,
is your power steering fluid low, the pump will make a whine or humming if dry or close to it.

WhiteyGAGT
09-27-2009, 10:28 PM
CV joint was another highly possible suggestion Ive been given outside the forums. As far as the power steering goes, I dont think it would be that unless its based on mph like my noise is.

PhantomLover007
09-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Hey Grant.. Is that a Member's Only jacket you're wearing?... lol

*key Miami Vice music... lol lol

Sorry I'm off-post.. Couldn't help it

[ChaosweaveR]
09-28-2009, 07:16 AM
*facepalm*

It's a bad wheel bearing. You need to replace the hub assembly. End of story.

WhiteyGAGT
09-28-2009, 11:05 AM
Hey Grant.. Is that a Member's Only jacket you're wearing?... lol

*key Miami Vice music... lol lol

Sorry I'm off-post.. Couldn't help it
Lol. No, its the only decent pic of my car at the moment until probably today when I wash it again and hopefully feel like taking too pictures since Ive been putting it off. What Im wearing was my tux for my senior prom last April.

PhantomLover007
09-28-2009, 08:04 PM
You didn't have to take the pic down now... lol

WhiteyGAGT
09-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Lol. Dont worry. Your comment didnt make me cry enough to do THAT. I just washed my car and took some pics so I actually have something to show if/when I upload them to the site sometime.