weird engine ticking tonight.... [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : weird engine ticking tonight....

The JoKeR
08-23-2009, 12:37 AM
I drove my car to a friends house to watch some movies tonight. The car was fine the whole way. About 4 hours later, I started to drive home when I heard a loud ticking noise coming from under the hood. I pulled over and turned off the engine and let it sit for a few minutes. When I started it back up, the ticking noise was still there. I pulled the oil cap off and suddenly the noise went away and has not returned....any ideas? All I did to make this loud ticking noise go away was pull off the oil cap...

westerndragon
08-23-2009, 09:31 AM
did you check your Oil if its low you might be getting slap noise as for pulling off the cap and it going away i think it might just be coincidence but eh i never know what im talking about anyways lol

PhantomLover007
08-23-2009, 10:10 AM
The lifters make a slapping sound normally when the engine is running...

westerndragon
08-23-2009, 10:16 AM
If mine are slapping hard i dont really hear it mine runs almost silent the only thing i hear is a lopping cam from having 150K MI on it.

I had a tweet at higher RPMs but lucas took care of that

KhellendrosxS
08-23-2009, 10:40 AM
If the ticking was coming from the engine and went away randomly I would put money on a lifter. I doubt opening the oil cap had anything to do with the noise going away.

I had a lifter just start raising hell one day while sitting in traffic. I though sure the engine was about to blow up cause it was going CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK. I turned around to limp it home but about 5 minutes from the house it quit. I had an extended warranty at the time so they replaced the lifters and the noise has not come back since.

hass
08-25-2009, 03:35 PM
lol our motors' lifters seem to get lazy over time.