Computer not talking with scanner [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Computer not talking with scanner

76TA01GAGT
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
We bought a 2000 Grand Am GT with a rod knock, hence did not drive it before we took it apart. The check engine light was on when we purchased, along with ETS, low coolant etc.. We have since completly rebuilt and put back in, got the low coolant light off but the check engine light remains, along with the ETS light (which I understand will remain lit until the check engine light issue is fixed). We bought a scanner/ reader and hooked it up last night, it says no codes recorded, but will not reckognize the VIN on the car. The sensor review says they are not working (all of them). I tried erasing codes but the light stays on. To confirm the scanner is working correctly I hooked it up on my daughters 2001 GAGT and got all information at once (VIN, no codes recorded, all sensors report as ok), then my 08 Taurus (and again it read everything). The car has an aftermarket radio in it and makes a "clicking" sound behind the radio. I have unhooked the battery multiple times and it still is starting (knock on wood........) right up. Car sounds good, idle is a little erratic but I am guessing that is something in the computer. Any ideas? Is the theftlock messing with me? The only thing I didnt do was check the pins in the connector to verify they where all straight, that is the first thing tonight to look at. Thanks in advance for any/ all help! Brian.

cobrajeff92
08-25-2009, 02:26 PM
did you check the fuse for the cig lighter. maybe your not getting any power at the obd port

76TA01GAGT
08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Nope sure didnt, I will put that on the list. I am guessing it is okay since I could get some live data reports, but ya never know, thanks for the input!

rocketfast123
08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
the horn fuse gives the OBD port power

cobrajeff92
08-25-2009, 04:04 PM
the horn fuse gives the OBD port power

my bad. most car i work on get there power thru the cig fuse

76TA01GAGT
08-25-2009, 08:17 PM
Hmm, okay, cig had power, still no comunication, to late to be honking tonight, will try that tomorrow evening, thanks for all the input, any help is appreciated!

76TA01GAGT
09-08-2009, 11:22 AM
Horn and cigarette both work and all fuses are good, any other ideas where to look?

cmtapanes
09-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I had a similar issue with my car. The car will crank but no start and AaronGT's hp tuner will not connect to the PCM. The computer wasn't getting power. I check the fuse and all the fuse look ok but the problem was that the fuse wasn't making good contact on the fuse box. So I open the two legs of the fuse a little so they will make more pressure against the fuse boxes.

Or maybe someone took the PCM out before and when they place the PCM back they bent one of the pins (maybe the power pin)

76TA01GAGT
09-15-2009, 05:41 AM
This car starts right up, so does that mean the computer has power? Or is it possible for the car to run with a malfunctioning computer, I didnt think it was..... thanks again for any input

cmtapanes
09-15-2009, 07:21 AM
If the car starts the PCM has power. Do you have the SECURITY light on?

juanvan
09-15-2009, 07:43 AM
What kind of reader are you using? Some of the cheapy ones won't read right.

76TA01GAGT
09-15-2009, 07:13 PM
No security light, Tapco scanner/ reader. It works great on my daughters twin 01 GAGT and even works great on my 08 Taurus, so fairly sure it isnt the scanner/ reader. Keep the ideas coming one will fix it sooner or later......... lol. Thanks to all for the input!