clogged cat [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : clogged cat

aiixon
08-27-2009, 10:22 PM
What would cause a clogged cat? and by what would cause it, i mean can you please explain in full detail for our engine specifically on what would clog it.

lone_wolf025
08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Cats get clogged from stuff like carbon buildup which typically happens when your engine is running too rich with misfires and whatnot. Its hard to say EXACTLY the cause because it varies. Cats sometimes clog cuz they're old or the substrate falls apart. Doesn't happen often, but it can happen.

If your engine is running strong and steady and you have no immediately noticeable problems then chances are its a fluke or its not a clogged cat. To check for a clogged cat get a vacuum gauge and hook it up to a line. Goose the engine while watching the gauge. When you snap the throttle you should see the gauge go down (when the plate is open) and jump back up once its closed. If it reacts sluggishly, its a bad cat.

aiixon
08-27-2009, 10:33 PM
oh im sure my cat is clogged. i get whiteish smoke out the back from what i assumed to be the carbon burning out of the cat and my acceleration is just terrible. what i was ultimately getting at is if its from coolant or not, because im diagnosing my overheating problem and what not, and the smoke and loss of coolant were the only 2 things leading me to believe its a head gasket. now that all thats left is the coolant disappearance (the worst part..) im feeling a little bit better about it not being my head gasket

lone_wolf025
08-27-2009, 10:41 PM
oh im sure my cat is clogged. i get whiteish smoke out the back from what i assumed to be the carbon burning out of the cat and my acceleration is just terrible. what i was ultimately getting at is if its from coolant or not, because im diagnosing my overheating problem and what not, and the smoke and loss of coolant were the only 2 things leading me to believe its a head gasket. now that all thats left is the coolant disappearance (the worst part..) im feeling a little bit better about it not being my head gasket

If you've got white exhaust you're burning coolant. Only way you're burning coolant is if you have a leaking head gasket. Coolant will contaminate the cat and make it useless but won't necessarily clog it. I dunno if they sell the stuff at places like autozone or other major parts chains, but there's a test for the coolant to see if exhaust gas is getting into it. Run the test to be sure.

Last time I had a bad head gasket was on my old Blazer and I didn't realize it until my temp was spiked all the way and the radiator was empty. I dumped in coolant and while driving to the shop had a GIANT cloud of white smoke out the back. Obvious in hindsight, but yea. White exhaust, dropping coolant, bad performance, SCREAMS head gasket.

AaronGTR
08-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Yeah, white smoke usually means burning coolant. Black smoke means burning oil. Loss of power can be caused by a lot of things, although a clogged cat can be one of them. But as for the cat clogging, usually running too rich, misfires, burning oil or coolant over a long time or in excessive amounts... all those things will clog it. Sometimes they just go bad from being used for a long long time.

KmGADfw
08-30-2009, 10:57 AM
im feeling a little bit better about it not being my head gasket

With white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, poor acceleration and lose of coolant, what make you think it is NOT your head gasket / cracked head? :attention

PhantomLover007
08-30-2009, 12:40 PM
x2

Had that happen on my old LeMans. It's good if you want to throw up a smoke screen and confuse your enemies... lol

aiixon
08-30-2009, 01:38 PM
bahahhaha! WEEZING! GET EM!

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 06:44 PM
x2

Had that happen on my old LeMans. It's good if you want to throw up a smoke screen and confuse your enemies... lol

That's exactly how it was on my old car lol

bahahhaha! WEEZING! GET EM!

heh yea almost