Battery Light [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Battery Light

timberwoof
08-28-2009, 04:37 AM
2004 GA 3400 w/140K, and the battery light came on and stayed on, until I got the RPMs above 2500 and it went off.

Alternator?

Mike Jung
08-28-2009, 04:57 AM
Alternator &/or battery.

Mattyj724
08-28-2009, 05:54 AM
everytime my battery went bad i never had the batt light come on.. the thing just didnt turn on.. if it comes on with the car running then its your alternator.. test your batt with the car running.. if its not 14v then id take to get your alternator rebuilt. you can get them rebuilt cheaper than buying a new one. unless it under warrenty

rocketfast123
08-28-2009, 09:49 AM
Make sure the cable going to the fuse box is on good.

AaronGTR
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Most likely the voltage regulator on the alternator or the alternator itself. That's what it was when my battery light came on. Either way the fix is the same... new alternator. Upgrading the wire isn't an absolute necessity but it helps reduce the load on the alternator and can extend it's life a bit, especially if you are running extra electrical accessories.

KmGADfw
08-28-2009, 06:06 PM
Also, make sure the belt is not slipping at the alternator - as the light went off when the engine speed picked up.

timberwoof
08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys. I'll have to wait to get everything fixed up.

timberwoof
09-12-2009, 04:18 PM
well I took the battery in to get tested, and they found it to have a bad cell. The replacement was free because it was under warranty, so that was cool. But when I started it up, the battery light came back on.

At a certain level the battery light goes off, but now the Air Bag light is coming on too.

Both turn themselves off when I get past 3K.

Problem is I was checking around for Alternator prices, and they are F'ing expensive now days. Somebody was telling me I can take it in to get rebuilt, but I have no idea where I could do that. OH Well any suggestions. Luckily I'm working a small security job tonight so that will off set some of the cost.

KmGADfw
09-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Don't worry about the ABS light, it is caused by the charge / battery issue. So, fix that and ABS light will be off as well.

Try to clean the battery cable - both pos. and neg. ends and see if that fix the problem.

timberwoof
09-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Okay, quick question. Where does the red wire from the Alternator go to. I'm asking because I'm gonna get a little bigger one to cut down on resistance.

AleroB888
09-24-2009, 10:25 PM
The PCM also has to get the GEN L terminal signal, (and F terminal), or the light will come on. My light is on all the time due to using a 2001 PCM in a '99, since the generator has no L terminal output to the PCM. could be a signal wire open circuit under some condtions.

AaronGTR
09-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Okay, quick question. Where does the red wire from the Alternator go to. I'm asking because I'm gonna get a little bigger one to cut down on resistance.

It goes to the underhood fuse box. The main positive cable from the battery goes to the starter motor and to the power connection on the outside of the underhood fuse box (under the little side cover). When I upgraded my wiring I left the stock wire in place and ran my larger new wire directly to the battery positive cable and replaced the one from the battery to the fuse box with the same size cable.

timberwoof
09-26-2009, 09:31 PM
WOOPPPP, finally got the GA working again. Total cost, $200 and about 30 minutes total to change out an alternator. HAHA. Felt good to get back behind the wheel, and feel the smoothness. I tell ya, after driving my durango for the past 4 weeks, it really feels good to have a smoother ride.

PhantomLover007
09-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Durango's suck Cody. WTH made you get one... lol

Mike Jung
09-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Durango's suck Cody. WTH made you get one... lol
It was cheap lol

The new grocery getter (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80540)

timberwoof
09-27-2009, 12:20 PM
Couldn't beat $1000 for a pretty good vehicle.

zukiracer19
09-27-2009, 05:00 PM
its the altenator, ive went through 2 so far and they've left me sit at the most unpopulated road yet, as soon as i see that battery light i start to rush to get to closest friends house etc. (considering I replaced battery a week after i bought my car)

PhantomLover007
09-27-2009, 07:47 PM
It was cheap lol

The new grocery getter (http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80540)

lol lol. I know. I had to mess w/ him though. I had a co-worker that had one and he wanted to push it off a cliff...

timberwoof
09-27-2009, 11:34 PM
lol lol. I know. I had to mess w/ him though. I had a co-worker that had one and he wanted to push it off a cliff...

Its been pretty good so far. Gas bill sucks ass, but its good enough for the price we paid for it. Gotta figure out what the damn squeaking is all about. I think I have a rubber ducky in there somewhere.