bad belt? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : bad belt?

Pass
08-28-2009, 11:13 AM
So my 2000 grand am gt started to make what sounds like a weird winding noise coming from the serpetine belt area (i think thats what its called, the big long belt!) Car is running fine tho just making this weird sound... could the belt just be getting old and need replaced or could it be something else? thanks for all replies in advance...

cheez99
08-28-2009, 06:22 PM
If you've never changed the belt and you notice the side of the belt with the "teeth" is severely cracked or has pieces missing, it very well could be time to replace the serp belt.

KmGADfw
08-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Was that a squeak sound or winning sound? Either way, it is 9 years old, so if it has not been replaced, it is time.

But, if you have had any coolant leakage before - especially at the water pump or lower radiator hose, you need to check to make sure the pulley for water pump is not glazed before you put on the new belt.

Pass
09-01-2009, 02:03 PM
thanks for your input guys... I brought my car to a friend machanic that looked at it and listened and made the conclusion that it is just a idler pulley (something about the bearings being all messed up inside which in turn is causing extra stress on the belt and noise). Make sense? picked up a new one gonna install it later tonight if I have time....

razobladez
09-01-2009, 02:05 PM
I saw this title, and was like dear lord changing belts in the GA is just dumb. Like, after i changed mine, my dad was like "hey don't you wanna keep ur old belt if ever your new one breaks...
Im like
"yeah dad, so on a highway, i can take my motor mounts off, keep the engine jacked up or suspended with my jackstands..and try to put a belt on the car..no thanks."
This was honestly hellish.

grandam3400
09-01-2009, 02:14 PM
Motor mounts off??? you dont need to do all that... It actually kind of easy compared to some that I have done. Are u sure you know what ur doing?

juanvan
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
If he has a 6cylinder he has to take the motor mount out. not too hard with a jack and a some wood - Remember the Wood Block! Or you will damage the oil pan.
No way around it. Edit - Unless he just wants to take it off and not put a new one on.

How many miles are on the belt?

grandam3400
09-01-2009, 04:43 PM
I never had to take off the mount to change the belt... Not that I can recall at least.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'll check tonight.

razobladez
09-01-2009, 06:47 PM
I never had to take off the mount to change the belt... Not that I can recall at least.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I'll check tonight.

Unless you did some sort of magic trick, and phase shifted our belt though your motor mount..then you took it off.

And yes I know what im doing, i changed my power steering pump, thats the whole reason i was under there. :-p

lvemy3100
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
you can change the belt without removing the mount however removal of the mount makes things extremely easy by comparison..

no matter what though you will need a block of wood and a jack ;)

Pass
09-02-2009, 10:34 PM
Well I ended up swaping the idle pulley bearing with a new one my dad had laying around his shop (crazy he just has them laying around I know!). The noise still managed to continue without hesitation. So we looked at the next culprit. The tensioner pulley bearing (i think its called). Stupid things bearing wouldn't slide out (with lots of banging on it of course), its molded on both sides so it needed to be replaced. The bearing wasn't even turning this whole time, the noise was coming from the belt rubbing over the plastic (or whatever the material is). So I went back to crappy tire, returned the unused idler bearing and got a new tensioner puller bearing which was 1 dollar less! Once it was all back together - bingo bango no noise at all.

I inquired about a new serpentine belt at crapy tire and it was like 60 bucks! I was like f no I'll get a new one another time. Happen to went over to the USA later that evening and picked a new battery up and serpentine belt for 90 bucks! US of course (serp belt was only 18 bucks).

Anyways all is good now. Sort of a side question... I replaced my battery because the one that was in there said "refurbished" on it, plus it had been in there for 4 years since I have got the car so I think it was time. Ok so If im in park in my driveway and I push the two window up buttons on my driverside door at the same time, my lights dim ever so slightly. What could be the cause of this? Alternator going?? We checked the voltage going to the battery and it was I think 14 which is normal I think.... any cause for concern guys???

Thanks for all advice, as allways...