Charge or Turbo? [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Charge or Turbo?

razobladez
08-29-2009, 06:45 PM
I know I know, this may start a flame war.
I have a few questions.

1.) Which way would require the fewest initial engine mods(injectors, cam..so on and so forth)
2.) Which way will require the least amount of work(technical or physical)
3.) Which will be the cheapest.

I have searched and tried to do research and I can't figure it out.
SOOO I will ask people who have already done it.
2001 GA GT Coupe

lone_wolf025
08-29-2009, 07:03 PM
No flame war...not really much choice in the matter. Only one supercharger option available, but its a crappy design and WILL break. Every other question you have really boils down to what is your final goal.

1.) You can get yourself a turbo, run on the stock bottom end, and even stock injectors but it limits how much power you can make. Again, what's your goal? How much do you wanna spend?

2.) Super would be less work, but is not a reliable option. You'd have it for a few months before it'd break...if that much. Turbo requires custom headers (OR you can get in on the group buy for Turbo headers by MP Racing), and you'll want an intercooler. Many guys can testify its not easy to fit a turbo and associated piping in the engine bay.

3.) Again, what's your goal? There are no kits available right now. Its all make a goal and buy your own parts. At that point its find your own deals as well.

A reasonable goal without going completely overboard is mid to low 13s.

cheez99
08-29-2009, 07:20 PM
If you don't have about 3-4k to spend, don't do it. You don't want to half-ass a forced induction setup.

razobladez
08-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Lets assume, I will mod my hood, sort of like the older eclipses had their hood, in order to accommodate the GP charger or the M62? is it?

lone_wolf025
08-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Custom designed hood would still cost ya. I'm not even sure that'd fit. The 3800 is a 90 degree V6 whereas the 3400 is a 60 degree V6.

CraiGT
08-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Lets assume, I will mod my hood, sort of like the older eclipses had their hood, in order to accommodate the GP charger or the M62? is it?

NO. Go buy a damn Eclipse if you want that. Eaton made a supercharger for the 3400 but there was like what... 1500 made??? Thats out of the question.

SOME have put the supercharger from a GP on the 3100/3400 motor with a lot of work. So much work you might as well swap the whole 3800 motor in. Forget about the GP supercharger. (by the way, series1 was an M62. Series 2 and 3 were M90s.)

Theres like an RSM supercharger kit. As was said, IT WILL BREAK. They just fall apart after time and they are hell of expensive.

Again, as was said, no real choice in the matter. Turbo. You will need fuel mods. Definately a tuner with a wideband 02 sensor to be sure of your air/fuel ratio.

razobladez
08-29-2009, 08:19 PM
NO. Go buy a damn Eclipse if you want that. Eaton made a supercharger for the 3400 but there was like what... 1500 made??? Thats out of the question.

SOME have put the supercharger from a GP on the 3100/3400 motor with a lot of work. So much work you might as well swap the whole 3800 motor in. Forget about the GP supercharger. (by the way, series1 was an M62. Series 2 and 3 were M90s.)

Theres like an RSM supercharger kit. As was said, IT WILL BREAK. They just fall apart after time and they are hell of expensive.

Again, as was said, no real choice in the matter. Turbo. You will need fuel mods. Definately a tuner with a wideband 02 sensor to be sure of your air/fuel ratio.

i never said i "wanted" that, i said assume i could do it.

lone_wolf025
08-29-2009, 10:23 PM
i never said i "wanted" that, i said assume i could do it.

Neverminding the previous poster, it can't be done for any reasonable sum. The fact that no one has done it or anyone that knows what they're doing has considered it testifies to that.

As stated, your best bet is turbo. Injector upgrade would be a good idea, but if you're not going nuts you can get away with stockers. Wideband is necessary for tuning purposes which you'll NEED to do. Expect to spend $3-4k easy.

Nick-G
08-30-2009, 01:27 AM
Turbo is the best way to go. Get some headers fabed up upgrade your injectors and get it tuned and your good to go.

KhellendrosxS
08-30-2009, 09:17 AM
I have a supercharger for sale.

zukiracer19
08-30-2009, 11:40 AM
turbo for sale:
http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113940

PhantomLover007
08-30-2009, 11:41 AM
How much you selling it for Chris?

KhellendrosxS
08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
NO. Go buy a damn Eclipse if you want that. Eaton made a supercharger for the 3400 but there was like what... 1500 made???

Try less than 20.

As far as the GP supercharger only one has been done that I was aware of and it wasnt even in a grand am.

As for the RSM supercharger its actually fairly reliable once the few minor flaws in bearings and key pins are addressed. Yes, it will break as purchased from PFYC and z-spec but its very cheap to replace the parts that go bad.