Questions about ss headers with flex [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ss headers with flex

Mattyj724
08-30-2009, 10:57 AM
not really sure what the flex piping does... .does it replace the cat? or connect to it? im looking into a Exhaust.. but i dont just want a cat back. i want to do from headers back bc to my knowledge the better headers will increase power over the stock, correct? just looking for a little insight? and headers are bolt on right?

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Headers are bolt on, but they are a pain in the butt to do. I HIGHLY recommend paying a shop to do the work for you. The flex pipe is just what it sounds like, a bit of piping that is flexible and allows for a bit of play in the movement of the exhaust system. It does not replace the cat as that's what the hi-flow addition is for.

Headers will improve your power. However, in order to get the most out of them you'll wanna have supporting mods like ported intakes, tb, cai, and the rest of the exhaust system done.

stewartfn18
08-30-2009, 11:20 AM
Headers are bolt on, but they are a pain in the butt to do. I HIGHLY recommend paying a shop to do the work for you. The flex pipe is just what it sounds like, a bit of piping that is flexible and allows for a bit of play in the movement of the exhaust system. It does not replace the cat as that's what the hi-flow addition is for.

Headers will improve your power. However, in order to get the most out of them you'll wanna have supporting mods like ported intakes, tb, cai, and the rest of the exhaust system done.

come onnnn. headers are HARD to install, just a PITA. OP, headers are the best bang for you buc mod you can do IMO. all the rest was already answered

GA2000GTSpeed
08-30-2009, 02:13 PM
yah i love the s&s headers. but if you don't have much of experience with your engine bay you might want to give your self at least a whole day to do it. it truly is a PITA. and the reason you have to have flex piping on FWD cars is that the engine rocks back and forth that way the exhaust isn't going to just break or rip.

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 05:41 PM
come onnnn. headers are HARD to install, just a PITA. OP, headers are the best bang for you buc mod you can do IMO. all the rest was already answered

lol I said it was a PITA. In hindsight, I would've paid. I still cringe at the memories of my install ;crap But yea is it doable? Yes. Is it easy? No.

PhantomLover007
08-30-2009, 05:45 PM
I might have to see how bad it would be if I could do it at the auto craft shop here on post. At least it could be on a lift then.

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 05:51 PM
A lift always helps, but the hard part is simply getting everything to line up. You put a bolt in one hole and it won't fit in the one next to it, or you snap a stud, or you get both sides lined up and started, but then you can't get the donut washer to fit in the bridge correctly. Oh and if you have the hi-flow cat along with it you'll probably have to cut the pipe to get the old stuff off. Then you gotta be prepared to either clamp the old and new together (2.5" new to 2.25" old) or have it welded. Judging from my own personal experience (see my thread) I'd weld if possible.

PhantomLover007
08-30-2009, 07:07 PM
I guess I'll be looking at getting a hi-flow res and cat and letting Mieneke put it all on then w/ the TOG headers I got.

GA2000GTSpeed
08-30-2009, 07:37 PM
really what was a pita was the front. and getting to the bolts on the crossover pipe. and that damned dounut ring metal gasket thingy, whatever you wanna call it was a pita to keep there then going under the car with like 8 extensions to tighten them...

Mattyj724
08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I might have to see how bad it would be if I could do it at the auto craft shop here on post. At least it could be on a lift then.

gonna do the same thing...^^^^

stewartfn18
08-30-2009, 08:30 PM
lol I said it was a PITA. In hindsight, I would've paid. I still cringe at the memories of my install ;crap But yea is it doable? Yes. Is it easy? No.

lol, didnt even pay attention. anyway, OP, it all has to do with skill and will power really. Now im NOT saying that jon isnt skillfull enough to do it again, im sure it comes down to willpower for him. but i wouldnt mind doin it again.

stewartfn18
08-30-2009, 08:33 PM
really what was a pita was the front. and getting to the bolts on the crossover pipe. and that damned dounut ring metal gasket thingy, whatever you wanna call it was a pita to keep there then going under the car with like 8 extensions to tighten them...

and, like jon and this guy said, the metal donut is the hardest part.

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
lol, didnt even pay attention. anyway, OP, it all has to do with skill and will power really. Now im NOT saying that jon isnt skillfull enough to do it again, im sure it comes down to willpower for him. but i wouldnt mind doin it again.

I'm just a lazy SOB. Lets just say if I was ever asked to do it again on any car but my own, pizza and beer would NOT be payment enough. lol

PhantomLover007
08-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Pizza, beer and strip club maybe? lol lol

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Pizza, beer and strip club maybe? lol lol

*iagree* A few purchased lap dances, all the beer I want, and a pizza after...I could see that being enough lol

aiixon
08-30-2009, 10:48 PM
or just pay a shop you might come out even haha

lone_wolf025
08-30-2009, 11:40 PM
or just pay a shop you might come out even haha

shhhh!!!!

PhantomLover007
08-31-2009, 05:43 AM
Lapdances are better when the stripper's crying... lol lol