01 tranny and p/s ?'s [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : 01 tranny and p/s ?'s

Mattg
09-01-2009, 10:33 PM
hey guys im new here and really need some help...

ok so, im doing this for a good friend of mine because he knows jack **** about cars i am trying to help him. He has a 01 grand am gt with 155k and recently when he turns his wheel to the left and gets on the throttle it will start revving up and then slamming into gear as soon as he straightens out...now from my experience that sounds like a broken tranny mount but i could be wrong any suddgestions....alsoo hes powersteering is making a loud winding noise when he turns the wheel either way, i checked the fluid and it is there but i did notice a few drops of power steering fluid on the ground when he left my garage the other day anyone had either of these problems before?

thanks, Matt

cheez99
09-01-2009, 10:44 PM
The first issue sounds more like a CV joint problem the way you're describing it. I don't really see how the transmission would be affected by whether or not the wheels were turned.

As for the power steering pump, it very well could be going out. If the fluid is full, but it's really loud, it is usually because they are about to go.

Mattg
09-01-2009, 10:47 PM
thanks man....but if it was a cv wouldnt it make noise in a straight line and turning to the right?....it only does it to the left and one of my instructors at school also told me he thought it was a mount

cheez99
09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Yeah, CV joints usually just click when they are about to go from my experience. I'm just not sure how the transmission slams into gear when he straightens the wheels. Too be honest, I don't have a ton of experience with the drive trains of FWD cars.

bricooper78
09-29-2009, 10:01 PM
wait a second..

if the car is turned left, it will not go until he starts to straighten the wheels out????
does the tranny slip when the wheels are straight to begin with or when it's turned to the right?

the cv joints are 2 per half shaft. there is an inner and an outer. the outer generally clicks or thumps when the wheels are turned in one direction or the other, depending on whether it's the right or left side, but won't emulate a transmission slipping. the inner will click or thunk when you go over bumps or humps. (i had an old 89 beretta that i'd done A LOT of cv joint work and replacing lol)

that sounds like the bands in the tranny are slipping, but that makes no sense at all that it'd only do it when turned towards the left, maybe he has a torque converter issue, i'm not sure of that though, just a thought for ya

AaronGTR
09-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Power steering pump is probably just worn out and needs to be replaced. Would have to look under the car and see where the fluid is leaking from, but it could also be that the rack itself needs to be replaced. With 150k miles on it, both those parts are likely to be worn out. Especially since most people don't ever change the power steering fluid and take care of those systems.

For the trans, it doesn't make sense that it would rev up while turning and slam into gear when the wheels are straightened. Either it's in gear or it's not. The computer may hold it in a lower gear while he is accelerating and turning then may upshift to a higher gear to cruise once going straight. If there's a thunk, it may well be a bad transmission mount. It's pretty common for them to get soft over time and sometimes for the rubber to split, so might want to look at that. It is also pretty common for the trans to just get worn too with that many miles (again, most people never change their trans fluid and filter). The clutch plates usually get worn out, then seals start to go and shift solenoids start malfunctioning from all the abrasive junk in the fluid.