Aftermarket shifter knob does not allow key to come back out [Archive] - GrandAmGT.com Forum

PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket shifter knob does not allow key to come back out

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-02-2009, 07:39 PM
I have one of the pen or stick shape polished aluminium shifter knobs from reactive push button on top notch of mainbody facing the rear as they tell you to do . the yellow rod of the shifter shaft is making full contact with the inside of the push botton .

followed the instructions to the tee everytime I tried to install it and have it work properly. once installed when I turn on the ignition and car on put it in drive or other then back to park .

the key stops between off and next setting. and key will not come out . and it drains my battery like crazy fast. battery light comes on in this case as soon as the car parks /is turn off and key says put.

put back on each time the factory shifter knob , no more problem.

PhantomLover007
09-02-2009, 07:50 PM
You kinda have to find the sweet spot where the shift lock will engage/disengage and where you are able to turn off the ignition. I had issues w/ the aftermarket shifter I had bought and decided to go back to the OEM one. I'm gonna see how the MoMo one goes when I get one. The yellow/white peice that sticks up from inside the shifter stem HAS to be able to be depressed fully so that you can turn off the ignition.

Other way to fix the problem, leave the aftermarket shift knob free floating. Don't screw it down...

caboose73
09-02-2009, 07:51 PM
the knob is to far down on the shifter and the button on top is being pressed down alittle bit i had the same problem on mine

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-02-2009, 07:54 PM
THANKS A BUNCH you know my mechanic neighbor said same thibg. I had was pushing down and mount the shifter to far down . not letting the yellow shifter rod section disingage come all the way back up.

CUSTOMGAGT2000SEDAN
09-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Ya , no got that problem fixed . but as tight as i can get them the set screws long or short ones I just can not get tight enough. it pulls off with a pit of pull. and if it is going to pul off then it will adventually turn on me . i have the set screw allen key heads dame near rounded out.

be okay if I could get the screws tight enough. i guess smooth flattish round rod nextto flat end of allen key end . is like taking a ruller and moving it around a jar's side. the need to have some sharp gripping edge / end on them to really dig into the shaft. i think you can buy these same type of small alllen keys with points on the end . but i am not going to both with.

sucksssssss